Newb questions and Customize Expose??
Hiya guys I'm Sy and I've been using Mac for about a year for school but I was never quite aware of all the different things about it. So I have a few quick questions and one bigger question I've always wondered about.
1. Is it fine to leave programs open all the time, or will this slow the computer down like a Windows?
2. Is it fine to leave Macbook Pro on all the time, closing the screen just to "give it a rest"? Or, like with Windows, will it die after being left on for half a week?
3. Bigger question, I'm looking for something like Expose or Spaces, but you can sort things out by interest. For example, currently I have about 14 Safari and Firefox windows open, with about 10-20 tabs to each. What I'd like is a way to organize the windows by what they are being used for, currently it's
- Guitar lessons and tabs/musical notation/theory
- Web Design tutorials
- Web Hosting Interface
- Flash Tutorials
- Craigslist and Job Searches
- Video tutorials/Movie Research
I just today stumbled on Spaces, which seems almost like what I'm looking for, except it does things by application, not window. All Safari windows go in one space and can't be organized further it seems.
Also, the fact that Spaces seems disabled by default troubles me. Does spaces slow down your Mac or something? I'd imagine it's like running multiple systems at the same time...
Hey there mate and welcome ..
1. Yep want hurt it, then again its not hard when you have finished to quit anyone of them ..
2. Its all good to leave your Mac running for quite a while. i have had mine on for like a month now and its sleeps like a baby when i close the top, and springs to life when i open it .. Some folk in here dont do a restart until it ask's for it when doing a system update .
3. Cant help you on that one, but to answer the last para ...... No it doesnt slow the system down, per say, but does depend on what sort of Apps and how many you have running in it. As with any system, there are CPU hogs so you will just need to watch that :)
Hey thanks for the quick reply TM
Alright yeah I realize that it won't hurt the Mac to leave programs open now, I do think I should close them, but I figure the concept of Spaces is to leave them all open on separate "Spaces", that's why I asked that question.
So you think that there's not a add-on out there that can help me with my Customizing Expose thing?? :(
Not even one that can make it more flexible so you can drag the windows to each side or something???
Ahh got ya on the 1st ... But still on it it would be ok to leave them open ...
Take take my word for it but there might be just a thing out there. Not sure if its a plug-in for spaces as such but, could even be a 3rd party app ....
Am sure i have read somewhere on hear even about something similar ... Will do a search and get back.
In the mean time someone might pop in with the answer ..
Not sure if this site might give you some of what your looking for:
Irradiated Software - Products
I use "Cinch" which is pretty cool.
They have other apps that allow you to do different stuff with your windows as well.
Oooo thanks droflex that kind of stuff like (2up) could come in handy but I'm not quite sure it's what I'm looking for....
What exactly are "hot corners"??
And I've got sorta a way to sort what I was talking about. I made a new window in Safari for each of those categories, and filled them with the tabs corresponding to eachother...now I can find things a BIT easier and I feel more organized.
BUT, I was wondering if there were a way, maybe a hack that would allow me to change the titles I get when the windows are highlighted in Expose....OR, a way to change the highlight colors.
I'm pretty sure highlight colors is more doable, because the titles reflect the title of the website itself.
I dont know of any way of labeling your spaces windows but I havent really looked for a way to do it.
I usually dont have more that 4 or six boxes open at a time and when using the hot corners all I have to do is place the cursor into the corner that shows all spaces and I can see all the boxes. Then if I put the cursor into the corner to show all windows I get to see all the windows that are in all the boxes. I never use the keyboard to change to different spaces, I just use the corners
Kinda hard to explain but if you start messing with the hot corners a little you will find out how to do it and it is a fabulous utility.
If you use something like "cinch" or "2up" you can get more creative as well.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.