Snapshot of screen, where'd the file go?
    Hey Guys,

I just pressed command+shift+4 to take a snapshot of a small space on my screen. Well, it snapped the shot (I heard the camera sound), but I haven no idea where it saved it!

1. Do you know where it saved the file?
    2. How do you change the default location it saves?

Thanks guys!

--Sean

Specs:
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    The default location is either the Desktop or Documents folder...

I can't for the life of me remember how to change the location or file type even though I've done it myself...

Someone will chime in with the answer...

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Default location is your Desktop, saved as a PNG. The solutions I found for changing the default location and filetype don't work with SL because the plist for changing these values (com.apple.screencapture) doesn't exist. You can have it save to your clipboard though by holding down control - Control-Shift-Command-3 will store your screenshot in your clipboard and the same for Control-Shift-Command-4. You can then paste it somewhere and save as you wish.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    My choice is to use Sharpshooter < renames pic on the fly, so u don't have Pic 1 Pic 2 etc > and then i use Secrets to change them automatically to jpg as some PCs don't seem to like png and that also allows me to put them on desktop or where ever u want them.
    Used this in Leopard and SL.
    Download Sharpshooter for Mac - Rename screenshots as they are taken. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
    Download Secrets for Mac - Customize many hidden or incomplete Mac OS X settings. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I use Grab a lot too (comes with your Mac). Just depends if I've gone into the Applications folder and opened it yet. Screen shot is ok but I like Grab for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by vpsean View Post
    Hey Guys,

I just pressed command+shift+4 to take a snapshot of a small space on my screen. Well, it snapped the shot (I heard the camera sound), but I haven no idea where it saved it!

1. Do you know where it saved the file?
    2. How do you change the default location it saves?

Thanks guys!

--Sean
    If you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe). It is still in the clipboard and you would need to save it from the file menu in Preview or Grab (whichever your using).

Maybe there is an "auto-save" function but I believe you would still need to name the file before saving.
    Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by droflex View Post
    If you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe). It is still in the clipboard and you would need to save it from the file menu in Preview or Grab (whichever your using).

Maybe there is an "auto-save" function but I believe you would still need to name the file before saving.
    Not quite. If you don't hold control down, the screenshot is taken immediately and saved to your Desktop. Try it - push Command-Shift-3 and look at your Desktop .
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    f you havent actually clicked on "File" and "Save" or "Save As", the image hasn't been saved anywhere yet (I believe).
    Not so - if it the default settings exist, then it is saved automatically onto the Desktop as Picture1.png and next one will be Picture2.png. One you hear the shutter sound using the key combination the file has been saved.

aaah. I kinda figured there might be something like that. I dont use keyboard shortcuts 'cause I can never remember them. . I would need to have a "cheat sheet".

The only one I remember sometimes is the one for zooming on a window.
    Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    I dont use keyboard shortcuts 'cause I can never remember them. . I would need to have a "cheat sheet".

The only one I remember sometimes is the one for zooming on a window.
    CheatSheet just for you
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    CheatSheet just for you
    Lol! Thanks for that! Now I have no excuses! Arg!

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Lol! Thanks for that! Now I have no excuses! Arg!
    HAHA YW...... well you will be tested on it tomorrow lol
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Please excuse droflex as he is very, very sick and requires many days of doctor ordered bed rest and medication.

signed: droflex's Mom.

Specs:
    Please excuse droflex as he is very, very sick and requires many days of doctor ordered bed rest and medication.

signed: droflex's Mom.

HAHAHAHA Crack up .... I see a flaw in YOUR mom's signature Tho lol
    MoTM ☆☆☆

..... :d

Thread Information