New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Received the refurbished Macbook Pro today!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

When I asked probably a month ago if a Mac was right for me, I got a bunch of great replies here.

I was thinking of getting the entry level Macbook. But one guy suggested that I consider a refurbished, entry level Macbook Pro for the same price. Suggested it was the same as new.

So I did consider it, and I bought it, for the same price as the entry level Macbook. (with the white plastic enclosure instead of milled aluminum)

I just opened it now, but haven't powered it up yet. (I need to work a few more hours first) But it does indeed look like new. the only way I could tell it isn't is maybe a bit less cellophane wrap and such. Here are some pix to give you an idea:

Opening the box, we have the accessories slide box nested on top of the computer in custom foam inserts that fit the exterior box, and give some spacing in case someone hits it from the outside:

Opening the slide box, we find in the left compartment a little envelope labeled 'Everything else' install DVDs for Mac OS X and applications, a couple of white Apple stickers, (I'm going to put one on my black work laptop) and a software license agreement pamphlet (Has anyone actually ever read that?); a black microfiber screen cloth, and an 84 pg., all English booklet entitled 'Everything Mac.'

The rest of the pictures show what looks like a mint condition Macbook Pro. No scratches or dents anywhere.

Top view:

Right side view:

Left side view:

Overall close-up, open view:

Keyboard and touch pad close-up:

Now I can spend a couple hundred dollars on AppleCare, a case, and maybe a MagicMouse without too much guilt.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

I can't believe how BIG that daggone touch pad is.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I was thinking of getting the entry level Macbook. But one guy suggested that I consider a refurbished, entry level Macbook Pro for the same price. Suggested it was the same as new.
Yupp...that's what we try & tell people when considering a new Mac purchase...check out the refurbished stuff first!!!

Just like brand new...with a full 12 month warranty (just like new computers).

You're going to have a VERY FUN Friday night!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Ketan

Ketan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13-Inch, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, Intel Core 2 Duo, Snow Leopard

looks brand spanking new - looks just like the one im typing on right now (except i have a british uk keyboard layout)
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Alright!! Congrats!!
QUOTE Thanks
clonehappy

clonehappy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)

Lordy I love their packaging ... it's so shexy.

 - if this is not an Apple icon, you are missing out, and it looks delicious
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

This is my first post from the Macbook. Do I look different?

I can't believe how well-designed this computer is. My Lenovo PC laptop is also well-designed, but there are just a few nice touches. This whole THING is a nice touch.

Already, I miss the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons though.

I looked down at the keyboard and was looking for the Open Apple and Closed Apple buttons. Does that date me?

As I look at the shifting keys, I see that Apple has made a concession to PCs. The option key has a tiny 'alt' at the top side of it.

The backlit keyboard is wonderful. To anyone thinking of buying the entry level Macbook, I highly recommend the Pro just for this. That's all for now. Time to play with the apps some more.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
This is my first post from the Macbook. Do I look different?

I can't believe how well-designed this computer is. My Lenovo PC laptop is also well-designed, but there are just a few nice touches. This whole THING is a nice touch.

Already, I miss the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons though.
I was wondering if you were going to stop in tonight...or if you were having so much fun with that brand spankin new MBP...you forgot about us!

BTW...my older 17" MBP has the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons...they're on the 4 arrow keys.

Enjoy that new Mac!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I'm glad you posted pics. ^-^" A movie of the unwrapping would have been nice too.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I was wondering if you were going to stop in tonight...or if you were having so much fun with that brand spankin new MBP...you forgot about us!
It's funny you should mention it. I had one last misadventure with the ol' PC. It crashed last week, so I lost the bookmark and password to get to my wireless router's Wireless Security page to get the password so I could set up the Mac. Had about a 2 hour fiasco trying to get 'er done. Only to find out that god**** Norton Antivirus was blocking me from getting to the internet. Got Norton off and AVG on, and I hope to never touch that PC again.

QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

congrats

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Those pic's are a selling point in themselves for a refurbed MBP ... Hmmm now to consider looking at the Aust Store to see what they have to offer me.
Looks sweet mate and well done ...

Mighty envious

Would love a backlit keyboard instead of having to melt the candle on my rest pads every night .....
It is starting to burn a bit low
Congrats

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Those pic's are a selling point in themselves for a refurbed MBP ... Hmmm now to consider looking at the Aust Store to see what they have to offer me.
Looks sweet mate and well done ...

Mighty envious

Would love a backlit keyboard instead of having to melt the candle on my rest pads every night .....
It is starting to burn a bit low
Congrats

Cheers
LOL, you make it sound like you are still in the dark ages. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

haha I remember open apple and closed apple
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
LOL, you make it sound like you are still the dark ages. >_<"
HAHA yea Its not that bad but still need that light @ night !!!!!

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compressing/zipping files | Mac name changed after crash »