New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Received the refurbished Macbook Pro today!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
Already, I miss the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons though.
You can page down using spacebar or page up using shift+spacebar.
Home = ctrl+left arrow
End = ctrl+right arrow

There's lots of cool keyboard shortcuts here. Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Congrats on your new Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

I'm also in the market for a new MBP and the refurb prices are very appealing. Has anyone ever gotten a less than perfect referb? I wonder how their policies are regarding cosmetics? (I know the functionality will be as new)
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
haha I remember open apple and closed apple
Man that brings back memories of 8th grade and using the old Apple IIe's. jeez I'm old...

Oh yeah... congrats on your Mac JeremyZ!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

...and bought a bag, a book, and a firewire cable to go with the camcorder.

Here's the case I bought.

Once I cut off the little rubber brand name tag, it looks just like a soft brief case one would bring to work. It has two gusseted pockets on one side, and a large velcro one on the other. (for paper documents) The inside is a snug fit. The handles stash away in their own little pockets. If you use the handles instead of the shoulder strap, the handle pockets are big enough for an iPod.

The book I bought was one that is recommended here a lot. (thanks guys & gals) Switching to the Mac, by David Pogue.

The Belkin cable was thirty bucks! But I checked the price on Amazon while I was there, and it is the same price. Oh well, at least it seems to be of good quality.

Now, it just seems like I need to scrape together the money for AppleCare.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As for page up, page down, home and end: the "command" key (the one next to your spacebar) is your friend.

command+up= page up
command+down=page down
command+left=home
command+right=end
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

Thanks chas. Another guy mentioned it earlier too. Those are super-useful shortcuts. Command + up is better than space or Shift + space because it will work in all applications, not just Safari.

Another super-useful one for me was fn + delete, which = forward delete from a PC. (Macbook Pros omit that key, sadly)

QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Already, I miss the Pg Up, Pg Dn, Home, and End buttons though.
I would too. Hard to believe (I know) but this is one of the things that keep me from buying a Mac. I often find myself using just my right hand to type (I'm obviously not a touch-typist) and use the dedicated Home and End keys ALL THE TIME.

Bottom line for me: I sincerely wish the MBPs came with dedicated Home and End keys.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

-- ignore this post --

QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
To go to the top/bottom of a page, Command + up/down
Thanks. I meant to say "Yes, I know there are keyboard shortcuts, but I sincerely wish the MBPs came with dedicated Home and End keys."
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
Thanks. I meant to say "Yes, I know there are keyboard shortcuts, but I sincerely wish the MBPs came with dedicated Home and End keys."
yeah, that just popped into my brain, slow thinking at the moment, my mistake.

QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I bought mine refurbished also. Look and operate like brand spanking new. I can't tell the difference. Congrats!

I was confident in buying refurbished MBP from Apple cause I had bought a refurb iPod from them before and there was no difference between the new ones except the serial number label. I haven't had any problem with my iPod either 3+ yrs

(Firefox) BTW, I missed Home and End too until I realized the 3 fingers swipe up and down replaces Home and End! Very convenience!
QUOTE Thanks
TheGreatApple

TheGreatApple is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 MBP 15 Inch, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Wow! First of all congrats! I didn't know that the refurb macs come in such good packaging...I'll have to go kick myself now for getting a new one....stupid stupid! lol
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

My wife wants to buy one too now, but they don't have any 13" pros in stock any more. They have a 1.6 GHz Air for $1100 now though...

QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
My wife wants to buy one too now, but they don't have any 13" pros in stock any more. They have a 1.6 GHz Air for $1100 now though...
Check back once a week. They will have it back in stock. I had to wait on them before I can order mine. My guess is we're buying display models from their Apple store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compressing/zipping files | Mac name changed after crash »