Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Buying my first mac, going to go to school to be a IT? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/188803-buying-my-first-mac-going-go-school.html)

DMG1287 01-28-2010 11:37 PM

Buying my first mac, going to go to school to be a IT?

I have a little under two years left in the Navy and when I get out I plan on going to college to be a I.T. and I know that I.T. usually work on computers and servers that are windows based. Will I have any problems using a Mac for that school? I haven't picked out my school yet but I was wondering in general if you think there would be any problems? Thanks for any info.

CrimsonRequiem 01-29-2010 01:24 AM

No because if you do runs into problems you can install Windows via bootcamp.

DMG1287 01-29-2010 01:44 AM

what is and how does boot camp work exactly?

Tater2Stock 01-29-2010 01:49 AM

Boot Camp allows you to dual boot into either Windows whatever and Mac OS X

pigoo3 01-29-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMG1287 (Post 989530)
what is and how does boot camp work exactly?

Here's plenty of info on bootcamp:

Apple - Support - Boot Camp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)

- Nick

JeremyZ 01-29-2010 09:56 AM

While there is still time, I wouldn't go into IT if I were you. Unless you want to live in India or China or wherever is the cheapest place to outsource jobs to.

There are skeleton IT crews in most American companies now to handle the hardware, but 80% of my company's IT was outsourced to India. Using the local guys is the absolute last resort.

I'd stay in the Navy, put in your 20 years, and retire. Then get a fun part-time job just to fill the time.

clayneal 01-29-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyZ (Post 989657)
While there is still time, I wouldn't go into IT if I were you. Unless you want to live in India or China or wherever is the cheapest place to outsource jobs to.

There are skeleton IT crews in most American companies now to handle the hardware, but 80% of my company's IT was outsourced to India. Using the local guys is the absolute last resort.

I'd stay in the Navy, put in your 20 years, and retire. Then get a fun part-time job just to fill the time.

Very well said !

Clay

DMG1287 01-29-2010 12:10 PM

Yeah easier said then done, When you have a wife and son and your only home for like 2 to 3 months out of the year and that isn't all at once it makes it really hard. But this still helps me guys, I know I must pick a different field to work in. thanks for the comments.

mtbinva 01-29-2010 12:39 PM

I would look into doing VMWare Fusion. Best of both worlds. I do litigation technology, so I'm half IT and half paralegal (I have degrees in both). So the Fusion aspect works quite nicely.

Plus you have the added benefit of a VM Ubuntu or Linux. For you to succeed above everyone else, you need to go home after class (or in my case, work) and take a beater computer, and hose it on purpose, look under the hood as it were. Then fix it. BUT, with that being said, back up all critical data! Often!

RiDE 01-29-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMG1287 (Post 989483)
I have a little under two years left in the Navy...

Thank you for your service!

DMG1287 01-29-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiDE (Post 989743)
Thank you for your service!

Appreciate to hear it, we get tired of hearing the news spit on us all the time.

Gandalph 01-29-2010 06:00 PM

Can you not get the Navy to put you on an IT course?.

DMG1287 01-29-2010 07:26 PM

Well there is the IT field in the Navy but they where not taking anyone when I went to change my job, so I went Gas turbine system mechanic (much better than my last job). I would like to just be able to be home more to help raise my son. I have money the navy is giving me to go to college when I get out that I paid into when I first came in. From some of the research I have done that I didnt know is there are many fields in the IT world and not all of them are going to india. I will be able to pay for it just have to find the school. My main qusetions was having problems using a mac in a school that primarliy will be working on window based systems.