New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New iPad Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

broadmate2003

broadmate2003 is on a distinguished road

Hiya,

I got a 13" Macbook and a iPod Touch 16gb already, but do not know if I should stick to my iPod Touch or also get an iPad when it gets released in the UK.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We don't know what you should do either.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AutoAustin

AutoAustin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook,2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD

^^ haha awesome answer. I'm not sure I really wanna invest in one other than to **** my GirlFriend off. "haha my (basically an ipod touch) is bigger than yours!!!"

13" Macbook
dual core 2.26GHz Processor
2GB RAM
25GB HDD
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Well, I would think that iPad is a really hot rod iPod lol.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmate2003 View Post
Hiya,

I got a 13" Macbook and a iPod Touch 16gb already, but do not know if I should stick to my iPod Touch or also get an iPad when it gets released in the UK.
Just buy it...problem solved!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
clonehappy

clonehappy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)

Yeah I know my hubby barely saw it and is going to buy one cause of the iBooks stuff. And the price is right if you ask me

Besides how can you have too many apple products?

 - if this is not an Apple icon, you are missing out, and it looks delicious
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

As I see it, the iPad is just another compromised gadget without any real niche of its own. It isn't enough of a computer to take the place of a Macbook. It isn't a phone. So just exactly what is it? It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense. Add a phone feature to that and we would have exactly what we need. I say "Phooey!" to the iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I want a MAc all-in-one that is voice activated. No more typing. Just speak. We have the technology.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
I want a MAc all-in-one that is voice activated. No more typing. Just speak. We have the technology.
Yeah, that would work well in any scenario where you aren't the only person in the room speaking. Crowded bus? HAHA! Have fun with that one!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Yeah, that would work well in any scenario where you aren't the only person in the room speaking. Crowded bus? HAHA! Have fun with that one!
There is such a thing as voice recognition. Some of the final versions of the old MacOS (8 & 9) had voice recognition for log in purposes. The system could be trained for your voice and only your voice and wouldn't respond to other people. The problems came in when you got a cold....

Not new technology.

QUOTE Thanks
creimers84

creimers84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.4GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
As I see it, the iPad is just another compromised gadget without any real niche of its own. It isn't enough of a computer to take the place of a Macbook. It isn't a phone. So just exactly what is it? It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense. Add a phone feature to that and we would have exactly what we need. I say "Phooey!" to the iPad.
I think it's a freaking awesome Idea! I've been waiting forever for apple to make a tablet. The first time I seen the modbook i was blown away but I figured if I waited around apple would make one of there own. when I seen the ipad in the vid with Jobs showing it off I thought it was love at first sight!!!!

But then he started toying with it and I was like hmmm where's the pen?? I know it's got a keyboard but I can take notes faster in class if I can write with a pen, helps when I need to draw a diagram or quick graph too.

Then i check the spec's wireless+3G... COOL, but what gives with the 64gb hard drive?(largest HD offered) Why not use a 128 GB solid state drive out of the macbook air?? 64GB isn't much space for a serious user, A 1 GHz processor? I wasn't really planing on buying 2 or three computers and a phone. What I really wanted was one kick *** tablet That played dual roles as a modest computer, organizer, sketchpad/notepad. something light and easy to carry that didn't obstruct my view in class.
All that said 10 hrs of battery life sounds pretty nice.

unno overall I think i agree:
"It's just another piece of hardware to carry around. Everyone would have to carry it and a phone. Most of us would need to carry it, a phone, and a computer. What's the point? A 10" Macbook with a touch sensitive fold back screen would have made a lot more sense."

I thought that apple would have took a look at the mod book or the Lenovo ThinkPad X200.

unno
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Most of you nerds? Most people don't need half of what their laptop offers them. E-textbooks ftw!
QUOTE Thanks
AaronGatesCarlt

AaronGatesCarlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
LOL... I'd settle for just being able to listen to Pandora in the background, or some sort of other multi tasking..

No Mic, no Camera, No Flash?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
Most of you nerds? Most people don't need half of what their laptop offers them. E-textbooks ftw!
I don't get people's fascination with E-textbooks. The light from the screen strains your eyes and makes it difficult to read.

Especially if you are like me and love to read...I can read a book for 8-10hrs straight sometimes and I can't even imagine doing that with a notebook let a lone on a tablet. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

The iPad uses flash memory and not a hard drive. I believe that the iPad is aimed at people like me that have a desktop and are looking for something on the road for basic tasks without buying another computer. There are no real PDAs anymore most of them are smartphones and frankly I'm not interested in them as the screens are hard to read and let's not even get started on contract prices (I would get the WiFi only model) I have a company provided Crackberry curve so I don't really need a personal smart phone and don't really like having my phone in with my organizer type stuff. I can't wait to test drive one and it coupled with my online storage account will be great for me while on the road. The only feature I wish that they had added was the iSight so that my wife and I could video conference while on the road. Maybe next model.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« upgrade ram | Want to switch to Mac at work, but have Windows server »