New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any G4 users out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spag_187

Spag_187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8

Hey all...New to the forum and to the Mac world. Thanks for some of the great posts on here. I've been able to answer a lot of my questions just browsing through the threads. As much as I wanted to drop $1100 for a new Mac book pro, I just couldn't do it. So my first Mac had to be an ibook G4. So far, I love it way better than my PC w/ windows XP !! I picked the ibook up for 300 bucks. It has the 1.42ghz processor, new 60g hard drive, 1.5g Ram, Airport extreme, bluetooth, Leopard 10.5 OS w/ iLife, brand new top and bottom case (white of course) and new battery. Anyway, I won't bore you the that stuff too much. Just looking for your thoughts if I over payed or got a decent deal.

Also, I was wondering how may of you still have and/or are still using your ibooks? And does the ibook still meet most of your needs? I know technology has improved greatly in the Mac world since 2005-2006, but I don't use the ibook for much more than web surfing, email, itunes, photoshop, watching DVD's on the road, etc.

Anyway, you thought and feedback are much appreciated!

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'll do you one better...I still regularly still use a G3 "Clamshell" iBook. It's not my main laptop...but it still gets used for the internet & e-mail.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Sounds like it's the Last Generation 14" iBook G4. Nice little machine. I have 12" version of it and since I am broke and can't afford a Macbook right now, it serves me well for everything I do on a notebook.

Pigoo, I still use my 333Mhz G3 Grape iMac for email, chat and some light surfing. As long as I stay away from You Tube, it still is quite useable.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag_187 View Post
Hey all... It has the 1.42ghz processor, new 60g hard drive, 1.5g Ram, Airport extreme, bluetooth, Leopard 10.5 OS w/ iLife, brand new top and bottom case (white of course) and new battery.
Good unit - it was the first of the iBooks to have Airport Extreme and Bluetooth as standard - which is nice if u plan on carrying around a Bluetooth mouse and use WiFi.
Have you done a clean install - with that ram Tiger will be good. Enjoy!
This is Ok for Tiger as i recall - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...mac-wmv-player
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Sounds like it's the Last Generation 14" iBook G4. Nice little machine. I have 12" version of it and since I am broke and can't afford a Macbook right now, it serves me well for everything I do on a notebook.

Pigoo, I still use my 333Mhz G3 Grape iMac for email, chat and some light surfing. As long as I stay away from You Tube, it still is quite useable.
I wouldn't mind having one of those last generation 12" iBooks! Very compact...and as fast as it gets in a 12" G4 iBook.

And Yes definitely no YouTube with the "older stuff"...not unless you like punishing or abusing yourself!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

Thanks for your replies guys! I placed this post in the the switcher hangout forum. I'm sure thats where I should have originally posted it anyway. Hopefully, I don't get barked at the the admin on my first post...ooops!

But thanks again!

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Hopefully, I don't get barked at the the admin on my first post...ooops!
You might get "barked" at...the admins like to bark!l
But if you scratch their belly really nice...they won't hold a grudge!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

And Yes definitely no YouTube with the "older stuff"...not unless you like punishing or abusing yourself!

- Nick
You Tube is very useable on the 1.33Ghz 12" iBook G4 with 10.5.8. Not always perfect but quite useable.

I went ahead and moved the thread to the Switchers Hangout as like you said, it does not belong in rumors and reports. No Bark from me! You are new and we all make "MiSteaks" from time to time!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You Tube is very useable on the 1.33Ghz 12" iBook G4 with 10.5.8. Not always perfect but quite useable.
Ohh...I'm sure You Tube is fine on your 1.33ghz iBook...in my earlier comment I was referring to your 333mhz Grape iMac not being a good "candidate" for You Tube.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I figured that is what you were doing but posted it for the OP's sake. It's still a good machine as long as you don't play HD!

Can you imagine HD on the poor 333Mhz G3? Truer words were never spoken about You Tube on a G3!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I figured that is what you were doing but posted it for the OP's sake.
I see...guess I was confused...wouldn't be the first or last time!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I see...guess I was confused...wouldn't be the first or last time!

- Nick
I used to be confused also till I went to my first Mac SE. Then the confusion stopped!
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

Ah, I miss my 1.33 GHz 12" iBook G4 sometimes. But I do love the netbook that replaced it.

Nevertheless, my main machine is a 1.42 GHz G4 eMac. Runs Tiger great (Leopard...not so much) and does everything I need it to, even with only 512 MB RAM. I wish I wouldn't ever have to replace it, it's built like a tank.

I've also got a blueberry iBook G3 300 MHz running OS 9 that I like to surf on and check email every once in a while.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

what issues will I encounter running 10.5 on my G4. Since I have never owned a Mac before, I don't know what to expect. The ibook did come with the original Tiger OS cd's. Is switching from 10.5 back to 10.4 something I should consider?

Basically, I need my G4 to handle downloading lots pics w/ minor editing (photoshop) holding documentation, e-mailing large files (photos), etc.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

Quote:
what issues will I encounter running 10.5 on my G4. Since I have never owned a Mac before, I don't know what to expect. The ibook did come with the original Tiger OS cd's. Is switching from 10.5 back to 10.4 something I should consider?

Basically, I need my G4 to handle downloading lots pics w/ minor editing (photoshop) holding documentation, e-mailing large files (photos), etc.
My iBook did decently under Leopard (Everything runs like it should)...but with PS, I would consider going back to Tiger, if your version of PS supports it. Tiger was what that iBook was built for and it absolutely flies with maxed out RAM.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Will Not Find My External Hard Drive - Time Machine Question | MobileMe nightmare »