New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any G4 users out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spag_187

Spag_187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8

I do have to say, even though my G4 is already 5 years old, I love it so far. I can't believe how much of a difference coming from PC there has been. It's very user friendly. I thought this was going to be a big issue having to re-learn a new OS all over, but that hasn't been the case. The saying must be true..."once you go Mac....you never go back!"

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
WOW...I'm really surprised to hear you say that about your G4 933mhz desktop!

I have exactly the same model...and I have NEVER had a noise problem with the fans...in fact I hardy ever hear the fans.

I wonder if the bearings in one of your fans is going bad...or if your computer is REALLY dirty inside.

- Nick
Hi there,
I think most of the noise is generated from the PSU fan; the fans on the processor are whisper quiet.

As far as dust is concerned, the inside of the case is pristine - I double checked the other day, when I replaced my DVD writer with a new unit and there wasn't a single dust bunny to be seen, let alone be evicted.
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

I'v seen around on the forums and stuff about "G3" or "G4"
What are these suppose to mean? How would I check what my mac is?

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Tek View Post
I'v seen around on the forums and stuff about "G3" or "G4"
What are these suppose to mean? How would I check what my mac is?
Well according to your profile under your name you have an Intel Mac so you won't have a G anything. G3, G4, etc were the computer processors on the old Macs which used PowerPCs and not Intel processors.

If you ever want to know about the specs on your Mac then just go to the apple icon in the top left corner and select "About this Mac" and then click "More info". Oh by the way if you have OS 10.5.8 then you have Leopard and not Panther.
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag_187 View Post
I didn't realize leopard and tiger were that similar. Leopard already came installed on the G4 when I bought it, so I guess my question would be....
will I see a bigger difference in performance if I switch back over the original tiger OS. You had mentioned tiger is "lightning fast" when that ram is maxed out (which mine is). What exactly will operate that much better with tiger?
OS X as a whole. Menu's won't lag, apps will open faster, run faster, things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about either ...

Leopard will work great on that machine, and so will Tiger. Leopard takes up a bit more space because of the various improvements, but if you already have Tiger you can just stay there, that's fine -- at least for now.

(how much longer Apple and devs will offer updates for Tiger is open to question.)
Hrm, maybe it's just me, but in my experience Leopard is a bit of a dog, even on an upper end G4. That's not to say it isn't usable, it very much is. But I find that Tiger is so much more responsive, and it's worth missing the extra features of Leopard (Which admittedly isn't a big deal for me, since I never used any of them.)

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

Spag_187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by December View Post
OS X as a whole. Menu's won't lag, apps will open faster, run faster, things like that.

Hrm, maybe it's just me, but in my experience Leopard is a bit of a dog, even on an upper end G4. That's not to say it isn't usable, it very much is. But I find that Tiger is so much more responsive, and it's worth missing the extra features of Leopard (Which admittedly isn't a big deal for me, since I never used any of them.)

so, if I wanted to reinstall the tiger OS...what are the steps. If i run the tiger re-install cd's will it automatically overwrite leopard? Also, will I loose any data (itunes, pics, docs) or are those safe on my hardrive?

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
geekfreackz

geekfreackz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13.3" (2009), 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM, 500GB Momentus XT Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag_187 View Post
so, if I wanted to reinstall the tiger OS...what are the steps. If i run the tiger re-install cd's will it automatically overwrite leopard? Also, will I loose any data (itunes, pics, docs) or are those safe on my hardrive?
You cannot simply downgrade from Leopard to Tiger, ie. you cannot simply "overwrite" Leopard with Tiger.

If you want to run Tiger on your machine instead of Leopard, you'll have to do a Clean Install, which means that you will lose all of your data. So, back up your files, then insert your Tiger disc, reboot and hold down the C key to boot from the disc. From there, head over to the Utilities menu in the Menubar and select Disk Utility - use this to erase all data on your harddrive, then quit from Disk Utility and proceed with the installation process.

PS: I'm not a native English-speaker, so I'm sorry if what I write is a bit hard to understand.

Tommy
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekfreackz View Post
PS: I'm not a native English-speaker, so I'm sorry if what I write is a bit hard to understand.

Tommy
Your English is perfectly understandable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Will Not Find My External Hard Drive - Time Machine Question | MobileMe nightmare »