New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any G4 users out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spag_187

Spag_187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" ibook G4 1.42GHz PowerPC, 60GB HDD, 1.5GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8

Sorry, I don't know what PS means....

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

what does PS mean? Sorry, like I said...I am fresh off the PC boat

And will I loose anything Ive come to like about 10.5 if I go back to Tiger?

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
December

December is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4

Photoshop

Things you like? Well, that depends. Off the top of my head, Leopard exclusive features include:

3-D Dock
Spaces (You've probably never used this)
Stacks (I'm not entirely sure how this works, it was more trouble then it was worth for me.)
Time Machine integration (But there's plenty of good backup programs for Tiger)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

"Your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
But your innocence is all I have"
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag_187 View Post
what issues will I encounter running 10.5 on my G4.
The main issue is your wallet will be lighter by about $100-$125 after you purchase the 10.5 install DVD!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

I didn't realize leopard and tiger were that similar. Leopard already came installed on the G4 when I bought it, so I guess my question would be....
will I see a bigger difference in performance if I switch back over the original tiger OS. You had mentioned tiger is "lightning fast" when that ram is maxed out (which mine is). What exactly will operate that much better with tiger?

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
I didn't realize leopard and tiger were that similar. Leopard already came installed on the G4 when I bought it, so I guess my question would be....
will I see a bigger difference in performance if I switch back over the original tiger OS. You had mentioned tiger is "lightning fast" when that ram is maxed out (which mine is). What exactly will operate that much better with tiger?
Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about either ...

Leopard will work great on that machine, and so will Tiger. Leopard takes up a bit more space because of the various improvements, but if you already have Tiger you can just stay there, that's fine -- at least for now.

(how much longer Apple and devs will offer updates for Tiger is open to question.)
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

cool...since I already have the new leopard OS installed, i'll stick with that. It sounded like I would be giving up performance by continuing to use 10.5. If that be the case, I would probably want to re-install the original tiger.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I still use a G4 iBook (14", 1.42ghz, 60gig drive, etc), and run Leopard on it with no problems. It's mainly an internet, email, and portable DVD player at this point, but I'm setting it up as my mobile recording unit (using Traction and a Mackie Onyx Satelitte interface) now and it seems to work just fine.

Would love a new MBP, but Santa brought a new iMac (21") so it'll be a while before another new mac comes home.
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

do you think mine will handle photoshop CS3? Im almost certain CS4 will be too much.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Beatles4Life

Beatles4Life is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Norwood is a 15 inch MacBook Pro from September 2010 with 10.9 - yay!

Quote:
do you think mine will handle photoshop CS3? Im almost certain CS4 will be too much.
Yeah, CS4 is too much. According to Adobe, you need at least a G5 Mac to run that programme. (link)

I think CS3 would be fine though. Here's a link from Amazon.

Also, yay for G4 Macs! I've got one too (a 12" iBook), and I still use it with pride.

"Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John Lennon.
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

I use a G4 933MHz "Quicksilver 2002" model and for me, it's (almost) ideal for every-day usage, like trawling the web, email, the occasional bit of scanning and wotnot.

The only thing that I don't like about it, is the fans are loud (can still hear them 15+ ft away! ) but if I get the new job I'm going for on Friday, then I think I'll be treating myself to a Mac Mini out of my first pay packet (shhh... don't tell SWMBO!! )
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

you bring up the fan issuse...i notice on my G4, it has a vent on the bottom left side and it looks like some vents on the back of the LCD display area. However, I have never heard the fan run! Its been completely quiet since I got it. Should you normally be able to hear the fan running? Also, where the vent on the left side is located, is where the laptop usually gets the warmest...never really hot, just warm.

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
you bring up the fan issuse...i notice on my G4, it has a vent on the bottom left side and it looks like some vents on the back of the LCD display area. However, I have never heard the fan run! Its been completely quiet since I got it. Should you normally be able to hear the fan running? Also, where the vent on the left side is located, is where the laptop usually gets the warmest...never really hot, just warm.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my G4 is a desktop model, not a laptop model.

From what I remember, when I had a G4 PowerBook, about 5-6 years ago, the fans on that were pretty silent.

Sorry if I misled you with my previous statement. It wasn't intentional.
QUOTE Thanks
Spag_187

not a problem at all...I actually was wondering about the fan issue the other day. I had asked my brother-in-law who has a MBP if he ever heard his fan running, which he said "nope!" Just thought i'd double check...Thanks!

Spag_187...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
I use a G4 933MHz "Quicksilver 2002" model...

The only thing that I don't like about it, is the fans are loud (can still hear them 15+ ft away! )
WOW...I'm really surprised to hear you say that about your G4 933mhz desktop!

I have exactly the same model...and I have NEVER had a noise problem with the fans...in fact I hardy ever hear the fans.

I wonder if the bearings in one of your fans is going bad...or if your computer is REALLY dirty inside.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Will Not Find My External Hard Drive - Time Machine Question | MobileMe nightmare »