New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to disable trackpad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deserter85

deserter85 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 150 GB

Hi,

I'm just wondering... How do I disable trackpad if I have a mouse connected to the MacBook?

This is driving me crazy and I can't type one sentence properly without the trackpad picking up some accidental input from my palms while I'm typing.

Btw, the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" option in settings doesn't work for me at all.

FYI, while typing the three sentences above, the trackpad picked up accidental input from my palms 5 times... Meaning, typing a 3-5 page report on my Macbook will literally drive me crazy!

*EDIT*: I just realized I can disable clicking on my trackpad... Certainly reduced the frequency of accidental inputs but apparently I still accidentally touch the clicking thing at the bottom of my trackpad as well while I'm typing...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Maybe better hand position while typing. Im not the fastest or the most accurate, but ive learnt with this being my first, portable to type in a way that i dont touch the trackpad anymore ....
The things we do lol
I had to employ a completely different typing posture but i seem to be typing in a more fluid action with the change

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
deserter85

According to Mac Help, selecting "Ignore accidental trackpad input” should make the computer ignore the trackpad while I type, and I certainly didn't have this problem with the past...

I do notice that this issue only really started after switching over from a normal mouse to a Magic Mouse... Could that be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

It might well be. Have you got all the latest updates ??

I presume you are running SL ??

10.6.2 combo update

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
deserter85

Yes, I'm running SL but it's up to date...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It got moved to Universal Access. Strange, but there it is:
QUOTE Thanks
deserter85

Thanks mate, that was exactly what I needed...
QUOTE Thanks
August West

August West is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
It got moved to Universal Access. Strange, but there it is:
Wow. I been using my uMBP since last Aug and have been looking for this function since I bought the machine. Even threads on this subject have failed to come up with this new, hidden location. I never use the trackpad and was always inadvertently moving the cursor while typing which was infuriating. Thanks so much for coming up with the answer chas.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Very glad to help!
QUOTE Thanks
saouri

saouri is on a distinguished road

Oh my gosh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! my Macbook was driving me crazy for ages and I simply could not find this... hope it works now - so far, so very good!
you are an angel to me!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Yay! I r useful!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yay! I r useful!
You Angel you
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« apple wwdcs | Help me find Disk Utility!! »