New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

possible new mac owner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jem3484

jem3484 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, im thinking about converting from my win7 pro laptop to and imac,my basic needs are
  • internet
  • music- listening
  • viewing pics
  • light pic/video editing
is there any advice/tips you guys can give me on selecting what imac (if any) is best suited to me,money is not really a problem alhough i would like to spend sensibly, also is there anything i should watch out for?
thanks
jake
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I find it curious that you would switch from a laptop to a desktop machine. What's that all about? Your answer could affect our advice.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If money isn't an issue I say go all out and get the best one. That way you future proof your purchase and higher resale value.

That goes for desktop and notebook...which ever way you decide to go.

From what you listed pretty much any Mac will meet your needs.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You have, in my opinion, picked a good moment to be looking at an iMac. They are the first models to receive the new next-gen chips and subsequent internal upgrades, the rest of the Macs are behind them technically speaking (though that will change soon, I'm sure).

I would get the i7-based unit if its within your budget, it's the most future-proofed machine Apple's got at the moment. Not that the i5 isn't awesome, but the i7 is awesome with sprinkles on top.

As for "anything to watch out for," ... hmmm ... yes, I can think of something to watch out for. PC tech telling you bald-faced lies about Macs. You should watch out for that -- believe me you will get big piles of bs from people who either are ignorant or maliciously deceitful on this topic.

One other piece of advice I have is that -- while you have the OPTION to also run Windows on your iMac -- you should avoid doing so, at least for a while. This will "force" you to quickly unlearn the Windows way and to pick up the Macintosh way. Along the way you will probably find that the Mac already does whatever you used to need Windows for, only better. But you still have the option of running Windows if you find you need to. It's just nice that it's OPTIONAL.
QUOTE Thanks
jem3484

thanks for the replies guys,the reason i am buying a desktop is that i already have a laptop and only ever use it on my desk,so seems pointless getting another laptop.I just need reassuring really that i am better off spending the money on a mac rather than half the money on a pc,
thanks
jake
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem3484 View Post
I just need reassuring really that i am better off spending the money on a mac rather than half the money on a pc,
thanks
jake
Only if you are tired of viruses, crashes, daily updates, and weak performance.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I would go for the quad core 27". It is truly a masterpiece.
QUOTE Thanks
jem3484

thanks for the advice, would i be better off buying it online or at a retail store as i can get student discount at both, i am in no rush lol
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

it doesn't matter...it's your choice..

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

OK, so you'll have both the laptop and a desktop. That's good. Both sizes of the iMac will do everything you listed without breaking a sweat. So, I think physical size is the real issue for you. Will your intended desk space reasonably accommodate the 27" iMac? For instance, mine wouldn't because of the height of an overhanging built in cabinet shelf. Another thing to think about is viewing distance. Some people, like me, have difficulty shifting the eyes back and forth across really wide screens. We loose track of the lines of text and keep getting lost while trying to read from one line to the next. So, we like to keep our web pages smaller than the screen. Unless you're into displaying multiple pages, that means a really wide screen may be wasted on you. There is also the issue of vision to consider. The bigger the screen, the further back you will tend to sit. If you wear glasses, particularly bifocals or continuous lenses, you may find it annoying to have to hold your head in awkward positions in order to get proper focus toward the edges of a really large screen. I use the 23" Cinema Display and wound up buying an extra pair of glasses just for computer reading.

You are going to love your iMac regardless of which one you buy. Congratulations, and welcome to the forum.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yea, the i5 and i7 may be overkill... but since when has that ever mattered? Haha.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SoulSeek | set ministackV3 as main drive? »