New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SiJ125

SiJ125 is on a distinguished road

Hey, so i bought myself an imac G4 off ebay the other day, 800mhz processor 768mb ram and 60gb hard drive with osx 10.4.11 its been tricky the past day trying to do stuff being a windows based person all my years of using computers. but my college course is in the creative industries, graphics design etc all the stuff macs were built to do. i bought the g4 due to lack of funds for a better model. i've been impressed by the speed and quality of the system for how old this machine is. i'm looking to install some adobe applications soon for my design work so i was wondering if anyone could tell me my limits with what i have, google hasn't done much. any help and tips about using macs would be appreciated since its all new to me.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Perhaps you should visit Adobe's site and see what they say? Their forums might also have more info?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
p3ezi(moto)

p3ezi(moto) will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: VZW iPhone 4 64gb Ipad 13" White Macbook * WD 500GB HD 80GB Ipod Classic

i would agree with Raz0r..but welcome to Mac-Forums...i'm new as well not that new but I have learned alot from this site alone. Welcome to the Mac-World now.

GS3 - Nexus 7 - 13in Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

You can visit Adobe's website but I believe they only list the current software. Do a search in Google for the exact product and version and then add the words "system requirements" and you should get your answers. You have to manually compare the minimum system requirements with your Macs specifications.

In general the older the software the less system requirements it will need so try looking up the last 2-3 generations of the software you are interested in. Welcome to Macs by the way.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Congrats and welcome!! I made the switch lately too, and am very happy I did.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I would suggest the CS3 suite, you will have to buy it used but that shouldn't be terribly expensive since it's "out of date."

I put that in quotes because I still use CS3 for graphic design nearly every day these days. My laptop really doesn't have the muscle for CS4 and thus I wouldn't get the benefits, so I'm skipping CS4 and waiting for CS5. Besides, PS CS3 was one of the better versions I can recall owning (I've been using PS for 20 years!), and Illustrator and InDesign CS3 are doing just fine for me with no issues, so I'm not "motivated" to upgrade. If I was a web designer I would probably feel differently, but I'm not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newb question concerning Parallels, and other things | EXE files on Mac's. »