New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook Power Adaptor Alternatives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chippy22

Chippy22 is on a distinguished road

Just today, the power adapter (60W MagSafe Power Adapter) for my 13" Steel Macbook broke(-ish).

While this in itself is not a major problem as my macbook is just over a year old and still within its warranty which will cover the extortionate cost for replacement, after reading the reviews on the website, I'm now questioning if it is worth buying a new one and just make do with the broken and extremely temperamental one i have.

Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available, or am I going to be forced to buy a replacement MagSafe one?
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Mag-safe adaptor I think you mean - I imagine there are other products out there but I wouldn't let one go near my MBP. My first mag-safe charger lead began to bare the wires after about a year. I took it back to the shop, showed them it and they replaced it straight away. From my experience, some are fantastic and the others break. My second one seems to be the former of those two.

I suggest going for another one and seeing how that goes.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

The MagSafe connector is patented. And any aftermarket replacements would be of dubious quality. Apple has very specific care and handling instructions for the adapter for a reason, it is not the most robust adapter in the world. See here:

Apple Portables: Reducing cable strain on your MagSafe power adapter

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

How did it "break?"
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

If it's within warranty which will cover the replacement why are you worried about the cost? Surely it's a no-brainer?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Chippy22

Chippy22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How did it "break?"
I have no idea...

Quote:
If it's within warranty which will cover the replacement why are you worried about the cost? Surely it's a no-brainer?
It was never the cost that bothered me (well -ish, it's still too expensive), but after reading all the terrible reviews, I didn't want to replace it with the same one, only for it to break again in another year, by which time my warranty will have run out. I've settled for sending off for a replacement, I just hope it lasts longer...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are generally rough with power supplies, which is a big part of the low rankings for the power adapters. I've owned four of them so far and only had one fail - and that one was the original one that came with my '06 MacBook Pro - and it wasn't the cables that were damaged or anything, it just stopped charging one day (still provided AC power).

I think if you follow the guidelines set forth by Apple in the link I posted previously, you'll be fine with your replacement. But if you drag the supply around by its cable or wind the cord too tight, you'll have problems.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
joypebble

joypebble is on a distinguished road

>>Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available,<<<

I use the MBP in four different locations. It is moved between these locations daily. If this doesn't wear out any single adapter, then I don't know what will.

I need at least three additional units to leave on site at the remote locations. That's one heck of a good reason to own less expensive adapters. So, for me, this question remains unanswered.

What is a reasonably reliable non-OEM replacement for the MagSafe units?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joypebble View Post
In the 4.5+ years that has gone by since this thread was last active (yes this is an older thread)…not much has changed. Apple OEM is still probably the best source for a replacement power adapter.

Alternative power adapters probably won't be any more durable…and the insides/innards of of a non-Apple power adapter may not be of the best quality. Then the main issue may not be durability…but safety.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

I bought extra adapters for both MBP and MBA, plus an aeroplane adapter, when I ordered the laptops, and in four years and more than a fair amount of travel, haven't experienced a single problem. In fact, this is the first time I heard of the matter.

When I go overseas, for an extended period of time, and expect to be moving MBP between office and residence, I take both MBP adapters, for shorter trips - just one. All four adapters are in constant use.

Frankly, I never even looked at any "aftermarket" chargers - to anyone, still considering such a contraption - look up stories about people, electrocuted by cheap (as in fake) iPhone adapters ...

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Anything you see aftermarket is technically a grey market item and is best avoided. For better or worse, Apple has the MagSafe connector heavily patented and they rigorously enforce those patents. This has caused a lot of pain for third parties, especially those making battery packs and such.

So, in short - the answer to this thread remains the same as it always was.... buy original OEM Apple MagSafe adapters. If you need a bit of a discount, you might check out refurbished units at OWC.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

And to add to this (I know) old discussion: the reason Apple's chargers are expensive is because they are SAFE. Take one apart and then take apart one of the Chinese-made knock-off chargers and -- well, let's just say you don't have to be an electrical engineer to notice what's missing in the knock off: LOTS of safety design and engineering.

Stay safe and buy the Apple charger.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joypebble View Post
>>Are there any alternative non-Apple power adapters available,<<<

I use the MBP in four different locations. It is moved between these locations daily. If this doesn't wear out any single adapter, then I don't know what will.

I need at least three additional units to leave on site at the remote locations. That's one heck of a good reason to own less expensive adapters. So, for me, this question remains unanswered.

Thanks
I've been doing this since 2008, with the same MagSafe adapter. (Still using the 85w that my 2008 mbp came with, daily)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm still using the adapter my 2009 came with for travel, but I bought a second one for home use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on second hand MacBook please | how to make folder for pictures on Facebook group »