New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Imac compatible printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vank66

vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

I have a 2008 iMac and I want to replace my present Lexmar printer with an HP model. What are other iMac users using?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Now on Brother MFC as Canon MP had issues with scanning wirelessly to 2 iMacs on a LAN but the Brother has been playing nicely from the start. Had an Epson but was not a multi but it printed OK.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I have a Canon Pixma MP210 and it's terrible. It goes through ink like there is no tomorrow and every once in a while I get "connection issues" which require me to unplug the whole thing and plug it all back in. My old HP printer on the other hand could have survived a bomb and lasted through four years of university. Next printer I buy will be an HP and will be that way from now on.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

I've had my imac for about 3-4 months and finally, just a couple days ago, got around to hooking up my inkjet (Epson Stylus CX3810). It's a about 3 years old if I recall.

I couldnt find the original cd to install the drivers so I downloaded them from the Epson website.

Everything is normal while printing from XP in bootcamp.

The printer will print fine under OSX as well but it is only in maximum quality (slow and expensive) and there are no "print quality" settings available.

I also don't seem to be able to check the ink levels or clean/align the nozzles. If I run out of ink, I wont know which one is out unless I'm using XP.

I'm going to live with it for now since I rarely print anything but if I were going to buy another printer I would make sure it said something like "OSX compatible" or "Mac compatible" so that I could have all the settings available.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

I don't wish to be contrary, but I go for Canon every time - unless it's wireless (not so in my situation). Canon works with Mac just-like-that, but I acknowledge issues users have had with wireless scanning.

Unfortunately I can't empathise with vansmith, whose contributions I respect, but my (now) old Canon MP110 just plugs on, and on, and on. The spare ink cartridges dry out unless I put them in the fridge. That said, I print b/w with a Brother laser, so the Canon doesn't get used all that much now - but it did for well over a year.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

see my post here Epson Stylus NX-515

QUOTE Thanks
KYGirl

KYGirl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
I don't wish to be contrary, but I go for Canon every time - unless it's wireless (not so in my situation). Canon works with Mac just-like-that, but I acknowledge issues users have had with wireless scanning.

Unfortunately I can't empathise with vansmith, whose contributions I respect, but my (now) old Canon MP110 just plugs on, and on, and on. The spare ink cartridges dry out unless I put them in the fridge. That said, I print b/w with a Brother laser, so the Canon doesn't get used all that much now - but it did for well over a year.
On the Canon subject...I just bought the Pixma MP 610 (from Apple) when I bought my MBP. I have only had both items less than a month & have already had 2 conversations with Canon regarding this printer & the numerous printing issues (I haven't even tried the scanning functionality yet).

Whether I am using my MBP, or if I am using a Windows maching running Vista, the printing issues are uniform. The printer acts fine when printing B&W, but when printing color, there are all sorts of lines in the document.

We (me on the phone with a Canon tech) ran through so many print head cleanings, alignments & tests that they had to send me new ink cartridges from draining the ink. Along with the new ink, they sent out a new print head. After replacing the print head, running through all of the alignments & tests again, to no avail, I am having the same issue with this printer. I am beyond frustrated with this thing.

I have always been an HP person but I was trying to avoid having to deal with HP's bloated software package that they insist the user install. It bogs down every machine that I have ever had to install it on, but at this point, at least the HP printed correctly.

I would like to give this Canon printer a chance to work correctly, but my patience are wearing thin. This has not been a good experience AT ALL with Canon.

If anyone has had any similar issues, I would welcome any advice you might have to help resolve.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

I second the Epson NX515. Best printer I have ever used (It is a 3 in 1).
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I use a Lexmark X4550, an all in one. It's fine, though I did have issues with the drivers when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.
Weirdly I downloaded an older driver and it works!
It's been very reliable, and prints very well.
I think a lot depends on what your principal use is going to be. I don't print photo's any more, it's cheaper to get it done professionally to be honest, so if you don't intend to use it for that, you may be better off getting a printer better suited to other tasks.
Consider also the price of ink. I remember a while back that PC World were selling a 6 ink Epson for £75, but a set of inks for it cost £85. How ridiculous is that, buy a new printer each time instead (not that all 6 inks run out at once of course, but you get the picture!)

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Rottie

Rottie will become famous soon enough

I use an Epson Stylus SX515W (Ethernet, USB & Wireless) all-in-one (printer, scanner & copier) which I purchased just after Xmas.
So far, no issues with it - Scans are crisp, as are prints.
Drivers for OS X Tiger supplied on the CD installed without any issues and worked as expected, first time around.

All in all I'm a happy bunny and would recommend this printer to anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

The HP 1320 and 3390 work well for me. Snow Leopard saw them and set them up without me having to do anything. I don't even know it HP makes OSX drivers, but they weren't needed. Which is probably a good thing, since the Win version of HP stuff is usually extended bloatware unless you remember to check the drivers only box.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

HP 1320n laser, Epson R300 Injet, Epson DX600 All-in-one all work in this house.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« EXE files on Mac's. | SoulSeek »