New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Only an observation: my complaint about Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

It speaks volumes that so far, I only have one complaint about the new Macbook I just bought. I love it overall. But, I feel Apple is being stingy to only give me 2 USB ports. I think 4 is the norm, and 3 would even help. Other than that, no real complaints!
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

smiles..less is more!!
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

lol true, but sometimes exactly what is needed = more haha..I could always get a USB router, but that is like going back to the Window's ratnest on my desk haha
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think 2 USB is more than enough on a notebook. The MBA only has one port >_<".

What devices do you have connected that you need 4? I have my Wacom Tablet connected at all times, and the only other device that I connect or use often is my external HDD and thumb drives.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'd like to have more than two as well. Unfortunately, that's just not the Apple way. Form is always greater than function in Apple land - and Mr. Jobs hates all kinds of holes and flashing lights, which is why there's no HDD activity light (which would be really handy IMHO).

If you think Macs are lacking now, just wait a few years. Apple is currently working with Intel to develop a new extremely high-bandwidth external bus called Light Peek. If that comes to pass, it appears as though Macs will come equipped with just a single port for all of your connectivity needs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Some students and those in countless professions who regularly use more than one flash drive would love more than two.

I know what your thinking, buy a flash drive with larger capacity. In the real world, most of the time you may find your self dealing with an unpredictable work load from month to month and project to project. At times you may only need 1GB, at other times you may need 20GB.

Yes, there is always a way around this. A way to customize everything. But in the end many would benefit from more than two.

Though I should add I may be biased. I use Corsair flash drives. While you can run over them with a bus you can't use them at the same time so close side by side
QUOTE Thanks
stewabr

stewabr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM

I also could use 4 so I bought a USB hub. This is one of the few complaints I have about my MBP. 1 Blackberry, 1 iPhone, 1-2 bluetooth headsets depending (1 for exercise and 1 for conference calls) and 1 for my Time Machine back up HD. I'm rarely home so I backup with both Time Machine on an external drive and CrashPlan. Even the weak HP my job provided had 4 ports.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Unfortunately, that's just not the Apple way. Form is always greater than function in Apple land - and Mr.
That really is the root cause of the problem and several other Mac problems. I wouldn't mind having more USB ports either.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Buy a hub.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Buy a hub.
Sure, but then you've got to carry that around along with your laptop, not to mention that many devices don't work with hubs and that the bandwidth is split.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Sure, but then you've got to carry that around along with your laptop, not to mention that many devices don't work with hubs and that the bandwidth is split.
That's the thing. I rarely need even one USB port when I'm traveling. And when you come home, a (powered) hub makes things a good deal easier--only one thing to plug in.
QUOTE Thanks
stewabr

stewabr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBPro (mid 2009) 3.06Ghz 8GB RAM 500MB 7200RPM NVIDIA GeForce9400GT 512MB RAM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much. I currently have a BB Tour, iPhone, WD Passport and a bluetooth headset connected to a very cheap Targus and everything is charging and working fine. The website says it costs $19.99 but I think I paid less than that. Of course it also basically says that external HDs require the more expensive one but I can confirm I am using mine now. This thing takes up no space.

Hubs | ACH111US | by Targus
QUOTE Thanks
I_LOVE_MY_MAC

I_LOVE_MY_MAC can only hope to improve

I do to feel that it should come with 3 ports. 4 might be pushing it but 3 is very handy. I know that while I'm on my desk I have my wireless mouse,iPod and sometimes I want to hookup my Blackberry and can't do all 3. Do I need to? No never had to wait for one port because it was so busy I could not disconnect but 3 ports with a TAD bit of room in between would be fantastic.

But to late now,already bought it lol.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC View Post
but 3 ports with a TAD bit of room in between would be fantastic.
I totally agree on that one. I have two USB devices that if i plug in i cant fit another USB device in BC it is just a little oversized Which make me have to go through a hub so i can use at least 2 ...

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

613 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB

I always thought this. When I got my MacBook back in 06, all the other laptops I saw had at least 3 USB ports spread on both sides of the laptop.

However, I never needed more than one or two on the go for a USB stick and maybe my iPod/iPhone cable. Nothing else is necessary for me when I'm out.

When I get home its a different story though. My powered Dock gets plugged in with its 5 USB ports and top-loading iPod/iPhone dock. I have 3 USB external hard drives with music, TV series, films etc and a spare that doesn't get plugged in "just in case." Plus my Soundsticks that use the USB port and logitech wireless mouse charger/receiver. That still leaves me with the FireWire port spare for the MyBook 300GB that is currently plugged into my Cube, and a USB port for any pen drives I can put in the machine when I'm in a hurry.

I would recommend using a FW external drive, although they are a little more expensive than a USB one, that is a 3rd port if you need it.

Or you could use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and save those ports altogether.

But if you use your laptop for any extended period of time as your main computer, I'd definitely recommend a powered USB hub, I'm very happy with mine!

David
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CAN'T Open iPhoto | Soon to be new convert »