New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Crumbled my Email UK problem...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bad Apple

Bad Apple is on a distinguished road

Can I get compensation from Apple for loosing my email data?

I've been running a 'bodge it' email system for my small company (of 1) via Yahoo as I could access mail from the web and Iphone, I had not been running an email client on a computer to access mail.
However I wanted my emails to come from a non yahoo address (I have a company info@ email address) and I wanted more of a back up of them than just being on the yahoo server.
So I brought a nice shinny MacBook Air in the thought that I would always be with one or the other so I did not need a web access from other machines, I also thought that I could then back up the laptop including the mail.
I got as far as downloading 3000 emails into my email client on my Air from yahoo but got stuck routing emails back out via my 'info' account.
I went to an Apple Store business team member so they could sort out my email and email back up system.
The Apple man ended up deleting 3000 of my emails from not just the Air but also from the yahoo account by removing the yahoo account from the Air email client.
The store has now sorted out the email system, but the loss of the last years emails may cause my business big issues and as best will make me look unprofessional and disorganised as a....wait for it....Project Manager.
The store is not disputing that the email loss it their fault, and they are talking compensation but what is reasonable?? Has anyone been through this with them?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Nope, but how can one put a value on email, especially when the content of which is hard to prove to create a value (unless you have some sample prints of the email you have showing that the loss of that email was critical to your business)?

Here's what I'd suggest, and I'd suggest trying ASAP if you haven't already - Yahoo should have backups running all the time should they have a system failure - they *may* have a backup of your email account - perhaps communicating with them might get your email back - explain the situation to them and see if they can help - if they charge a fee for recovering your data you have a starting point for how much to ask for from the Apple store (of course, this value wouldn't include compensation for your time, value of data that couldn't be recovered, etc. but it would be a start). If you're really lucky yahoo will have at least some of your data.

Good luck, I know how awful it is to loose data of value.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

If something is that important to you, then you should back it up.

This is a life lesson that hopefully will only be learned once.

You can try contacting yahoo and see if they can somehow get back the emails.

As for getting compensation from Apple, I don't know what they would give you... You should ask for a new iMac. =D

Sorry for your losses.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovering history from In Private Browsing | ms word 2008 auto-save failed and question on RAM »