New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Potential Mac New Guy here.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dannythekid

dannythekid is on a distinguished road

Hey guys just recently joined up here.

I came into ownership of a non functional G5 iMac a couple weeks ago and am looking to get it going so I can learn more about how it all works.

Doing some searching around here hopefully I'll be able to join you all!

However, I can't exactly say I'll be a switcher, but I'll swing for both teams... er... that didn't sound right.

Welp, seeya later!
QUOTE Thanks
techound1

Location: Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come visit me --->
techound1 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome! You'll have a lot of fun working on it - fixing a broken Mac was how I got started. To get you going, stop by ifixit.com - they have all sorts of manuals and videos on taking Macs apart and repairing them. Their parts prices are a bit steep, but they're a good place to start.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Do you have an OSX installation disc for it? Which version?
QUOTE Thanks
dannythekid

Yes I do have an install disc for it. The version? I'm really not sure. The computer was purchased early 06 I believe? I don't have them in hand so I'm really not sure.

Will runnin the installation discs complete wipe the hard drive? There is some potentially important stuff on there I may need to salvage for the people who used to own it.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No, installing the OS will not affect files that are properly saved outside of the System Folder. (I'm assuming OS9 here.) You can even do an installation that will save a Previous System Folder, which you can scrap after you scavenge it for things to keep.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post
Yes I do have an install disc for it. The version? I'm really not sure. The computer was purchased early 06 I believe? I don't have them in hand so I'm really not sure.

Will runnin the installation discs complete wipe the hard drive? There is some potentially important stuff on there I may need to salvage for the people who used to own it.
You can go to the store and get SL for $30. It wont wipe anything out and if it didn't fix your problems, it wouldn't hurt to have when you get the computer up-and-running.

later.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
rzj90059

rzj90059 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by droflex View Post
You can go to the store and get SL for $30. It wont wipe anything out and if it didn't fix your problems, it wouldn't hurt to have when you get the computer up-and-running.

later.

Snow Leopard is not compatible with PPC's, only Intel based Macs. He said he had a G5 iMac, therefore it is a PPC based Mac.

Tech Inventory:
uMBP 15.4" 2.4 Ghz/4GB RAM/250 GB, uMBP 13.3" 2.53 Ghz/4GB RAM/500 GB, iPhone 4 (Black), iPhone 3GS (Black)
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzj90059 View Post
Snow Leopard is not compatible with PPC's, only Intel based Macs. He said he had a G5 iMac, therefore it is a PPC based Mac.
Doh! forgot about that PPC thing. Before my time.

cheers.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks
dannythekid

I will definitely explore those options when I get to that point. Before it went to MacOutfitters it booted but didn't go anywhere past a screen similar to a PC's DOS.

Since then all I get when I plug in is a slow blinking power light on the front and nothing, so I'm kinda in the dark and don't wanna start throwing parts, I was thinking a power supply and go from there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory | upgrade ram »