New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Recovering history from In Private Browsing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sicktomystomach

sicktomystomach is on a distinguished road

I hate that I've had to resort to this but I need help.

My husband is a guru - who checks my email, searches my history, etc. Yes, we are having issues...no, I haven't given him any reason too do this. He can cover his tracks very well - deletes things, uses private browsing, etc. Now, I'm not totally computer illiterate, but have more experience on a pc. I use a mac laptop at home (his) as well as my desktop pc. I recently discovered a hotmail account (with his name) when we primarily use our wi.rr.com emails through Time Warner. Very fishy...and makes me sick to my stomach at the thought!

My question is this...is there any way to recover history after a user activates "private browsing" on a mac? I believe I read a post somewhere that there is a way to possibly check the router log? Also a way to check the cache?

Please, if anyone can tell me the steps to this I would appreciate it. I'm afraid something is going on. I've never snooped before, but I'm at a loss. I'm not getting answers from him and I'm sick of feeling sick. Thanks in advance for your time and answers!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not that I know of. The Private Browsing function doesn't cache anything on purpose. So, you have no history or cache function while you're using it or when you're done with it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

With In Private browsing, the browser is going to make sure not to remember anything about the sessions.

However, if you are going through a router to access the Internet, you can enable logging on there to essentially show every website that is accessed. The router logging, however, is very minimal just listing the main IP address of the visited site, nothing about specific pages on those sites.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
listing the main IP address of the visited site, nothing about specific pages on those sites.

Regards
Can't you put an IP address in the address bar and it will direct you to a site?

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Book Pro 15'' noob.. | Apple Crumbled my Email UK problem... »