New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Web serving from Mac OS 10.4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

normal1

Okay so there is a folder labeled "Sites" on my Mac and I think I've seen a couple of people use some sort of http server on their macs to serve files.. well, I guess the question is how? is that possible? am I imagining things?

I'd like to be able to get something like that up so that I can access files from within my network from the mac, that'd be nice. Specially since I'm getting a 250GB HDD! wheee!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

If you have a network (meaning you are behind a router and use an internal IP address, usually a 192.168.0.X address) you will need to set up port forwarding. Just create your site, put it into the folder, turn on personal web sharing in System Preferences -> Sharing and use the address they provide for you

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
normal1

Cool, well I want it for internal use only, so I dont need to foward it.. thanks tho!
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

I want to do that too, but can't even find the folder labelled 'sites', could you explain again for the people like me...!
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaccoll
I want to do that too, but can't even find the folder labelled 'sites', could you explain again for the people like me...!
Alex
it's in each user's home folder.

Jordan
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Er? I don't even appear to have a folder labelled 'home' - am i being dim?
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Your home folderis the folder with your short username in lowercase letters

In my picture the home folder is ryan
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (17.4 KB, 10 views)

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

The easy way to host a site on your Mac for internal use is to use the preconfigured Web Server that came with your Mac.

1) If you do not have one already, create a folder called "Sites' under your home directory.
1) Open System Preferences (It should be in your Applications/Utilities folder)
3) Go to the Sharing Preference Pane
4) Select "Personal Web Sharing" and turn it on.

At the bottom of the pane OS X will provide you with the address of your site so you can reach it with other computers. The root site is located at /Library/WebServer and your personal WebSite (reached by ~<username>) is the Sites directory under your Home folder.
QUOTE Thanks
ethea

How do you change the root site? meaning, I don't want to have /hd/user/sites as my root?

I have multiple sites I test for clients before I post them, so I am looking for a little more flexibility in changing and updating, customizing I guess would be the best word.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewall Questions | PCI USB 2.0 card »