New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Book Pro 15'' noob..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Turb0Rabbit

Turb0Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT, Magic Mouse, iPhone 4, iPod

hey guys, Just got my first Apple Computer (MacBook Pro) 15", 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HD, nVidia GeForce 9600m GT. Got a really good price on it, and I must say, I love it!!..

**** Apple. First the iPhone, now a Macbook Pro.. What next!?? lol

Anyways, Im a huge accessories guy, just got the Apple Magic Mouse and thats pretty cool. Ordered a nice Apple case, and just ordered the mini display for my monitor at the office. So I wanna know.. What next? I use my MacBook Pro to edit pictures (Photoshop CS4). I do Automotive Photography as a hobby. Any suggestions welcome, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I really don't think you need anything else. It sounds like you already have everything you could need.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

If you do photography as a hobby, you will probably want a little more than iPhoto. Take a look at Aperture. It has great organization, and it handles external editors like Photoshop (Elements) a lot better than iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
Turb0Rabbit

Turb0Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M/9600M GT, Magic Mouse, iPhone 4, iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
If you do photography as a hobby, you will probably want a little more than iPhoto. Take a look at Aperture. It has great organization, and it handles external editors like Photoshop (Elements) a lot better than iPhoto.
I've heard so much about Aperture. But, Im a big PS guy. Whats the advantage of using Aperture over PS?
QUOTE Thanks
Davanw

Davanw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP

I am a long time PS user. I gave Aperture a try, but came back to Photoshop. Not because Aperture is an inferior program, just because familiarity with PS.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I only use a couple of the Aperture edit tools. Basically I like Aperture for its photo organization and it allows you to edit in an external editor (Photoshop) and save directly back into Aperture. iPhoto won't do that. In iPhoto you have to save an externally edited photo to an intermediary folder, then reimport the edited image back into iPhoto with a new name. Of course Aperture integrates seamlessly with other Apple apps.

PS: I'm getting a little confused here because it's been so long since I've used iPhoto. Maybe it was only RAW files that would not save back directly to iPhoto. Anyway, I find Aperture much easier to use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running parallels on new macbook | Recovering history from In Private Browsing »