New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

cut files/folders? o.O?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murderface

Murderface is an unknown at this point

ok i have been using windows since i was like 5 years old. (win 95) and well i seem to gotten quite used to CTRL+X -> CTRL+V for those who dont know...
CUT -> PASTE that it is text or folders or files or whole stacks of files i always use it and i use it all the time. since it's so **** eassy. it's not that you can loose data with it since the folder is only being removed after it is completely pasted

but after making a complete mess of the files in my macbook i'm now organazing my files again and trust me... that's always a lot of work for me ^^

but now i seem to be unable to actually cut a file? i mean WTH? aint this one of the most BASIC things a (cutting edge) OS should do? i mean do the guys at apple think we are to stupid to know what we are doing? it works on text... and if you forget to paste there your text is actually gone! (yes, also in windows)

Trust me i'm not trying to make my mac into a windows i have a windows pc and laptop for that ^^ but come'on... cut is BASIC functionality and works so much faster then: copy -> paste -> go back to folder -> delete file -> go to trash -> delete file again

i know i can just open 2 finders and drag and drop the files but that just doesnt work eassy -_-

so plz! annyone has a script or knows an application to enable cutting of files/folders?

(isnt there annyone else annoyed by this?)
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Cut/Paste has never been part of OS X. It's one of the differences between OS X and Windows. You can buy a Finder enhancement like Pathfinder that has this functionality.
QUOTE Thanks
hagen

hagen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel mini early 2011 4GB

The functionality is there if you use drag-n-drop instead of copy/paste.

Watch the mouse pointer while dragging; if there's a "+" the operation will be a copy, if not it will be a move. Press the cmd or option key in mid-drag to change from one to the other.

Yes, it's a kludge, and it annoys me too.
QUOTE Thanks
Murderface

Murderface is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Cut/Paste has never been part of OS X. It's one of the differences between OS X and Windows. You can buy a Finder enhancement like Pathfinder that has this functionality.
Thanks! pathfinder runs great <3

aditional question:

How do i remove finder from my dock? it's useless now ^^ and seems to be verry hard to delete
QUOTE Thanks
cjcoops

cjcoops will become famous soon enough

For finder removal info go to the Pathfinder forum... there's some info there.

I use dragthing as a launcher instead of the dock - it's worth a look/trial

The Official DragThing Home Page

( Top 10 Reasons the Apple Dock Sucks )

Coops
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcoops View Post
For finder removal info go to the Pathfinder forum... there's some info there.

I use dragthing as a launcher instead of the dock - it's worth a look/trial

The Official DragThing Home Page

( Top 10 Reasons the Apple Dock Sucks )

Coops
I just tried dragthing after you posted and it is very, very configurable. I played with it for quite some time and was about ready to quit using the Apple dock but there was a couple things that didnt work the way I like.

If I had an application already running (mail or firefox), I had to double click on the dock icon to get it to pop to the foreground instead of just single click. Yes, I'm that lazy.

Also, normally if I have a copy of firefox running in four different spaces, I can keep single clicking the firefox icon and it will "rifle" through them on-by-one. Of course I can bring up all the boxes and select which one I want but sometimes I like to just keep clicking the icon until I get the one I want. I like the variety of doing it two ways I guess.

I dont know how I got along without expose and spaces all these years.

Please let me know if there is something I'm missing 'cause I like dragthing otherwise.

Cheers

Edit: I figured out the "single-click" issue but the other one is unsolved as of yet.

Any rebroadcast, retransmission or other use of this posting without the expressed, written consent of the NFL is strictly prohibited.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disable CD/DVD Verifying | New to the world of Mac and had a question reguarding RAM.. »