Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   BEST program to hide certain folder,EVEN from finder. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/187051-best-program-hide-certain-folder-even-finder.html)

I_LOVE_MY_MAC 01-17-2010 07:49 PM

BEST program to hide certain folder,EVEN from finder.

I need something simple and easy to use. Put the folder in the app lock it and not worry about wondering eyes coming across it. EVEN if using finder or any search.

Thoughts?
Thanks
ILMM

Collin Bl 01-17-2010 07:51 PM

Check out Secrets - lots of extras there. Download Secrets for Mac - Customize many hidden or incomplete Mac OS X settings. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

I_LOVE_MY_MAC 01-17-2010 08:20 PM

Does not really do the one task I need..
Thansk though =-)

miles01110 01-17-2010 08:23 PM

Create an encrypted disk image and put what you want in there.

I_LOVE_MY_MAC 01-17-2010 08:24 PM

I dont feel comfortable creating things. 10 steps,Im bound to screw one up.

Thanks though.

CrimsonRequiem 01-17-2010 08:57 PM

Are you sharing this computer with someone else or something?

twdcmd 01-17-2010 09:06 PM

www.truecrypt.org...use the program to create an encrypted volume with an unassuming name. Finder will still see it as a single file (unless you create a hidden volume) but it's only accessible when you mount it through the software with your password. Try it, it's free and easy.

richsadams 01-18-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC (Post 982415)
I need something simple and easy to use. Put the folder in the app lock it and not worry about wondering eyes coming across it. EVEN if using finder or any search.

Thoughts?
Thanks
ILMM

The "Exces" encryption software works almost exactly as you've described:

Exces

I_LOVE_MY_MAC 01-18-2010 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem (Post 982435)
Are you sharing this computer with someone else or something?

No,sometimes people use my computer for random task but the fact that if you clock "pictures" it find EVERY pic/movie in the computer is very very bad.
Not to toot my horn but being 20 and somewhat of a lady's man, I have some things I need protected lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twdcmd (Post 982438)
TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux...use the program to create an encrypted volume with an unassuming name. Finder will still see it as a single file (unless you create a hidden volume) but it's only accessible when you mount it through the software with your password. Try it, it's free and easy.

Once again the whole process is to (imo) not needed when you have what the guy under me recommended.
Quote:

Originally Posted by richsadams (Post 982546)
The "Exces" encryption software works almost exactly as you've described:

Exces

Works PERFECT.Thanks,looks like a keeper. Doesnt look like finder will search in it also.

tollickd 01-18-2010 08:14 AM

WinZip is my friend when it comes to keeping things hidden, just name it some weird file like e.g TempFile458.zip (or other mac file) and then just preview/unzip and delete when finished.

technologist 01-18-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC (Post 982557)
No,sometimes people use my computer for random task but the fact that if you clock "pictures" it find EVERY pic/movie in the computer is very very bad.

Other people should be using the Guest account, not yours.

It's much easier to just switch over to Guest than to constantly lock up and then unlock every file you use every time you need to use it.

MYmacROX 01-18-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MAC (Post 982557)
Not to toot my horn but being 20 and somewhat of a lady's man, I have some things I need protected lol.

HAHA! Tiger Woods, y'all! :D

I_LOVE_MY_MAC 01-22-2010 02:46 AM

Lol thanks guys. And yes,People more than likely use my temp guest account but sometimes its beyond my control when a sibling or a parent gets their hands on my computer. Plus in fairness to everyone, I rather MAKE sure that some items can't be viewed at all. You never know who might get their fingers on your computer..

TattooedMac 01-22-2010 03:42 AM

I love this Little app

Hide Folders

Cheers

Oneironaut 01-22-2010 01:16 PM

If you really want your stuff protected, you'll have to take the time to learn how to create an encrypted disk image, which isn't even that hard. And what's so difficult about letting others use a guest account? You don't even have to log out when you're not using it. Just activate a screen corner to go to screensaver or put the display to sleep and when anyone tries to use it, it will take them to a login window.