New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Adding a HP LaserJet 5P

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I have a HP LaserJet 5P in excellent shape, owned it since new and I know it has low mileage. It doesn't have a USB connection so I bought a nice high-quality USB to Parallel cable and connected it. Nothing happened. So I'm wondering about whether the iMac has the smarts to recognize that there's a printer waiting to be used? I tried the Add Printer when I selected a page for printing but that doesn't work, and I can't seem to find a printer utility in the applications/utilities area either.

Is there some magic way to get the mac to recognize the printer? I am not concerned about print speed... I'd just like to use the LJ as opposed to my inkjet for B&W stuff.

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The HP Laserjet 5P is a pretty old printer (I'm talking mid-90's vintage)...and as far as I know was not compatible with Macintosh computers even when it was new.

I have an HP Laserjet 5MP...the "M" standing for the Macintosh compatible model.

Maybe drivers have been released since the mid-90's to make a 5P compatible with Macs...but in any case...you're probably going to need more then the correct cable to get it to work with a Mac.

Just some random thoughts,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a 20 year old Epson Laser printer that is like-new and I think is still on the original toner cartridge.

I thought about buying the parallel-USB adapter for $40 but found out I can get a new laser printer for $60 that prints 3 times faster and I think 3 times the dpi. I'm sure it takes up less space as well.

The 5p was/is indead a workhorse.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« time machine | Formidable Stuff this Mac World! »