New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First things to do with MacBook?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
DaxWax

 
DaxWax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 3
DaxWax is on a distinguished road

DaxWax is offline
Hi there

So a refurbished Black Macbook should be arriving in the post tomorrow/soon-ish and I was wondering what the first things to do with it were;

e.g. calibrate the battery? update firmware? anything else like that?

This is going to be my first Mac so I'm a bit of a noob at the moment, anything I should be aware of?

Many thanks appreciate any replies! If this is in the wrong subsection a mod can move it - sorry!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

 
Collin Bl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 07, 2009
Location: Napier NZ
Posts: 3,281
Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Collin Bl is offline
Welcome to the forum. There is a freebie here which may help.
QUOTE Thanks
DaxWax

 
DaxWax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 3
DaxWax is on a distinguished road

DaxWax is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is a freebie here which may help.
Ah cheers, appreciate any other replies btw
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

 
nabl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 13, 2007
Location: United States of America
Posts: 256
nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

nabl is offline
Welcome to the forum! Really, there isn't much to do as far as maintenance. If it's coming from Apple, it should be in nice shape, so the main thing to do when you get it is just to have fun. Play around with all the new software and get used to the feel of the operating system. Maybe look through some desktop pictures in the latest Desktop Thread and customize your new Mac as you see fit.
QUOTE Thanks
DaxWax

 
DaxWax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 14, 2010
Posts: 3
DaxWax is on a distinguished road

DaxWax is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabl View Post
Welcome to the forum! Really, there isn't much to do as far as maintenance. If it's coming from Apple, it should be in nice shape, so the main thing to do when you get it is just to have fun. Play around with all the new software and get used to the feel of the operating system. Maybe look through some desktop pictures in the latest Desktop Thread and customize your new Mac as you see fit.
Cheers! What would you suggest is the best way to customize a mac? Any good software? (Sorry for being such a newbie at this)
QUOTE Thanks
EleKtrohed

 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2010
Posts: 8
EleKtrohed is on a distinguished road

EleKtrohed is offline
Hi DaxWax,

Welcome, i'm new at this too. Found some really helpful guides in the support section of the apple website which may help.

Also found the following on this very website: Flrnk: A Guide to OS X Software for Switchers

Hope it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

 
walkerj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 13, 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 1,186
walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

walkerj is offline
First things I do when I get a new Mac:

Transfer all my stuff over from my old mac with Migration assistant which makes it exactly like my old mac thus negating any 'first things' so I just use it for what I use a computer for - email, music [play,edit], moves, and generally running my digital life. Life which is getting more digital by the day.

However, when I got my first Mac the first things I did was put a blue 'get info' button in the Finder task bar. Then I set my terminal colors to be green on black rather than black on white default. Import bookmarks from old computer, set homepage, set up mail to work with my ISP, install EyeBalls, set up everything I like to have handy in my Menu Bar (which is a lot, my MB is busy), then run Software Update so everything is all nice 'n up-to-date.
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

 
nabl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 13, 2007
Location: United States of America
Posts: 256
nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

nabl is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxWax View Post
Cheers! What would you suggest is the best way to customize a mac? Any good software? (Sorry for being such a newbie at this)
I was mainly thinking desktop backgrounds, colors, and the like, but you can customize icons and various other aspects of your Mac too if you want. Check out applications like CandyBar to make customizing icons less of a chore if you want to change a bunch of them.

Also look for some cool applications that do tasks you find interesting. Look through some "best-of" lists, like this and this. You're bound to find at least one application that will make your life easier.

And don't be sorry or frustrated with being a newbie. If no one were ever a newbie at anything, we'd never have anything new. And really, that means we simply wouldn't exist.
QUOTE Thanks
KYGirl

 
Member Since: Dec 28, 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 16
KYGirl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP; 4GB RAM; 250GB HD

KYGirl is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
First things I do when I get a new Mac:

Transfer all my stuff over from my old mac with Migration assistant which makes it exactly like my old mac thus negating any 'first things' so I just use it for what I use a computer for - email, music [play,edit], moves, and generally running my digital life. Life which is getting more digital by the day.

However, when I got my first Mac the first things I did was put a blue 'get info' button in the Finder task bar. Then I set my terminal colors to be green on black rather than black on white default. Import bookmarks from old computer, set homepage, set up mail to work with my ISP, install EyeBalls, set up everything I like to have handy in my Menu Bar (which is a lot, my MB is busy), then run Software Update so everything is all nice 'n up-to-date.

Just curious.....
I am new to Mac as well....what is the EyeBalls installation that you reference in your post? Or where could I find additional info on functionality, etc.??

Thanks a bunch!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

 
MYmacROX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2009
Posts: 3,599
MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

MYmacROX is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYGirl View Post
Just curious.....
I am new to Mac as well....what is the EyeBalls installation that you reference in your post? Or where could I find additional info on functionality, etc.??

Thanks a bunch!!
Let me Google that for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Yet Another Newbie | CD from ISO »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MacBook or MacBook Pro: Newbie needs help ? fld777 Apple Notebooks 11 12-15-2013 02:37 PM
19 Days with a Macbook Pro b.hicks Switcher Hangout 23 03-01-2010 12:49 AM
Water 'incident' macbook screen black when battery in jadef Apple Notebooks 2 02-27-2009 08:59 AM
New owner, things to keep new MacBook looking new. Noxian Apple Notebooks 6 02-22-2008 11:42 AM
MacBook Video Archive novicew Apple Notebooks 4 07-14-2007 07:18 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?