New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Changing dock icons.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DaveTheCave

DaveTheCave is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to change my dock icons. I downloaded some icons, and I've followed all the directions and I still can't get it to work! I used a converter to make them the right type of file, I copy the icon I want, and when i go to the application that I want to change, I go to the 'Get info' and click the icon and when I go to paste the icon I want, there is nothing there.. There isn't a 'Paste' thing to click, just another 'Copy'. Has anyone else had this problem or know of any solutions? I guess it's not a huge deal, but I saw some people's desktop and their icons looked really cool and so did their themes, and I just can't figure out how to change either. Any help would be nice, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Try copying and pasting your icons using cmd+C/cmd+V

That's how I usually do it, and it works fine for me MOST of the time.. Also, check out CandyBar. It's an app dedicated to changing icons in OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
DaveTheCave

Well, thank you. The cmd+C thing didn't work. I tried that before as well. It just doesn't give me the option to paste the icons I want. CandyBar did work, kind of lol. It let me change the icon for "Finder" but not the other icons I wanted change. It would only give me the option to change Finder, Trash and Dashboard. I'll keep trying different things though. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Make sure it is the Finder in the menu bar when you click on edit to find the paste button. I havnt seen that problem before.

Thats funny about CandyBar as i have never had a problem with it... If it persists trash it and dl it again as it should work fine. Once you change what you want it will either re-launch the dock or you might have to restart your Mac. If CandyBar still doesnt work downgrade, and make sure you have the latest updates ... I remember now that is 1 issue i had until i realised i needed the update ..!!

You can get icons from the IconFactory and DeviantArt as that way you wont have to change the file extension as they dl as .icon

If you want to change your dock get Docker as its simple to use. All self explanatory

hope this helps in some way

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
DaveTheCave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Make sure it is the Finder in the menu bar when you click on edit to find the paste button. I havnt seen that problem before.

Thats funny about CandyBar as i have never had a problem with it... If it persists trash it and dl it again as it should work fine. Once you change what you want it will either re-launch the dock or you might have to restart your Mac. If CandyBar still doesnt work downgrade, and make sure you have the latest updates ... I remember now that is 1 issue i had until i realised i needed the update ..!!

You can get icons from the IconFactory and DeviantArt as that way you wont have to change the file extension as they dl as .icon

If you want to change your dock get Docker as its simple to use. All self explanatory

hope this helps in some way

Cheers
I had to mess around with CandyBar, but I got the icons changed. Now that I know how to do it, I have to go find the best icons! When I said I used a file converter, I had downloaded the icons from DiviantArt, but since I couldn't get them to work, I looked around for solutions online and one said to convert the .icon to .h-something. But anyway, it seems I figured it out. Thanks for the help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

For those that find there way here there is another choice - Get info on icon you wish to use. Go to App folder and click on icon u wish to change and get info for that one. Now with both info windows open click on the icon u wish to use and it will have blue outline the copy with Command C or File/Copy . Then click on icon in info window u wish to replace then Command V or File/Paste. Then when u run the app the new icon appears in the dock, u can right click to keep it there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« made the switch | iCam Video? »