New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Formatting but leave OS X??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tom163

Tom163 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.

Hi everyone, is there any way to format my Macbook but leave the OS X there? I got my laptop from a friend but he has left alot of stuff on it and I can't do a fresh install as I don't have any discs.

Cheers
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Formatting will destroy everything on a partition, including OS X.
If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
If you don't have any discs, my suggestion is to either get the discs from your friend, or buy a set

Cheers ... McBie
Agreed. You're going to need those discs sooner or later.
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

There is no other solution. You need! those restore CD's.

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Colin said would work for now BUT....

Like others have said, get the install DVD's for that machine ASAP. If something goes wrong you will need them like others have said.
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Go into Sys Prefs/Accounts and add new User and enable fast user switching then log into new one and delete his Home Folder. If the friend gave u the laptop then he should have given u the install disc. Now is the time to sort it rather than in a years time when u have a problem and need the info on the MB
Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom163 View Post
Cheers but somehow he has already made me the admin on the laptop with my own account.

The only problem is in Finder- Macintosh HD- Users- he still has a folder with his name which I can't delete. Also it says his name on the log on screen.
Just insert those discs that everyone told you to get and re-install, and you'll be golden.
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Yeah i've ordered some but they wont be here for days. I was wondering in the mean time.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

What OS did you order and trust you actually did purchase the full retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disc from eBay sellers? They are extremely model specific.
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

I've purchased the Snow Leopard one from Ebay-

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade - NEW & Sealed! on eBay (end time 16-Jan-10 01:18:06 GMT)
QUOTE Thanks
emiljan91

emiljan91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" (mid-09) | Specs:(2.26Ghz CPU,2gb ram, 160gb HD, Nvidia 9400m 256mb DDR3)

That will work just fine.

Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

So long story short:
To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhLUc...eature=related
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiljan91 View Post
That will work just fine.

Also the retail version of Snow Leopard doesn't come with the iLife Suite, you need to purchase that separate.

Also when i comes time to reinstall; make sure you delete your old partition using disk utility and then install snow leopard because if the Macbook has leopard(osx 10.5) on there now; when you pop in the snow leapord(10.6) disk it will assume you want to do an upgrade instead of a fresh install and keep all of your old settings and transfer them over to the fresh install.

So long story short:
To install Snow Leopard; put in your snow leopard disk, open disk utility and reformat the HD and then proceed to install snow leopard.

Here is a video showing you how to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard:
YouTube - Guide: How To Do A Clean Fresh Full Install Of Apple Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

Good news. Sorry to be a complete noob but whats this Isuite thing and what does it include??

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Quote:

Don't use Finder to remove User accounts, do it in Sys Prefs/Accounts by selecting the account in the left pane and clicking the - at the base of the pane, but you must be logged into another Admin User Account to do that.
When u get your new Snow Leopard put on 2 Admin accounts in case u need the other for future troubleshooting - sort of insurance.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Quote:
Good news. Sorry to be a complete noob but whats this Isuite thing and what does it include??

Cheers
Here you go

Apple - iLife - Do more with photos, movies, and music on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop and Office serial key length help | Your favourite FLAC converter? »