New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iTunes from my external HDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smackwarm

smackwarm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook 2GB RAM 500GB HD

Hi, I just got a Macbook and am very happy with it, except for one thing. I buggered up the switch from my external hard drive to the iTunes library because i made the foolish mistake of dragging and dropping the music folder in the HDD into iTunes. What I want is for iTunes to automatically access the HDD for my music library, so I want to import the library from the HDD, but there only seems to be an export option. Should I wipe off all the music from my iTunes library and start again? My iTunes is currently a complete mess of duplicates and exclamation marks that mean I have to locate each and every song. Any help would be very welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Where exactly would you like to store your music, external hard drive or on your MacBook? If all your music is currently stored on the external hard drive and you wish to move it to the MacBook, you'll need to do a transfer. Or, if you would like iTunes to always use the external hard drive....

See if the following article helps: LINK

Also, Apple provides instructions on how to transfer your iTunes library. LINK

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
smackwarm

Cheers, I'm doing what the Apple link said to do, i think it was changing the automatic path in itunes preferences that made it go sour. Trying all over again.
QUOTE Thanks
smackwarm

NB I want to store the music on my hard drive
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is Safari worth sticking to? | Trash issue »