New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

pc monitor on a mac g4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

one9one9

one9one9 is on a distinguished road

hi, i was just wondering which adapter i need to connect my pc monitor to my mac g4. i bought one off ebay, but it was the wrong one. there are so many on there and i am confused.com.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Your video card probably takes VGA, which most CRT monitors use, so I'm guessing you have an LCD or a weird video card. LCD monitors typically use some form of DVI.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

More information please.

Is the G4 running an ADC (Apple Direct Connect) connector on the graphics card? If so you will need an ADC/DVI adapter at US$99.00 from the Apple store. If the G4 has DVI just plug straight in.
QUOTE Thanks
one9one9

hi, im not sure actually as this is my first ever mac and have only been using pc's. Im assuming its all the original parts with the mac g4 i bought second hand, not sure if any other video card has been added.

Monitor mismatch ... can I fix?

the blue adapter shown here is what it looks like i need to plug my pc monitor into but my video card is slightly different.

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/imag...radeon7500.jpg

My connections are similar to this one but the one on the left is a smaller vesion of the connection on the right. If you understand that???

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
one9one9

Power Mac G4: How to Differentiate Between Models

figure 2 is the connection which my apple studio display goes into.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Okay yes that is ADC - Apple Direct Connect - that takes power and USB to the LCD. To connect a PC monitor you will need to purchase an ADC/DVI adapter, usually around US$100 from the Apple store. This is what it is like and connects to your mains power, and a USB cable pjugs into your Mac:-

http://store.apple.com/au/product/M8661X/B

Purchase it from your own country, which is not shown on your avatar to ensure mains plufs workl.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but isn't he trying to plug a PC mon into an ADC port?
The link harryb gave is for plugging an ADC mon into a DVI port. Or does it go both ways?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari Proxy | need help again (noob) »