New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Tips on maintaining my new MBP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomWilliams

TomWilliams is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.26GHz

Hi there!
As the title suggests, two weeks ago i purchased a beautiful new MBP and am completely new to this forum!
I am now fairly well versed with Mac OS and only have two questions;

I believe new MacBook's and MacBook Pro's come with a lithium polymer battery, that doesn't need the full discharge/charge cycle that old lithium ion needed to keep good health, so am I correct in thinking that I'm safe to use 20% or so of the batter then charge from there?

My other curiosity is that I leave my Mac plugged in whenever I'm at my desk, leaving the MagSafe charger in over night and at regular intervals throughout the day when I'm not there with the machine in sleep mode, is this good for the battery or would it be better for me to shut down the machine and unplug the charger every time I'm away? The reason i don't want to leave it in sleep mode but unplugged for longer periods of time is to keep the battery cycles down.

Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice and any other tips for a Mac newbie would be much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWilliams View Post
Hi there!
As the title suggests, two weeks ago i purchased a beautiful new MBP and am completely new to this forum!

Thank you in advance for your invaluable advice and any other tips for a Mac newbie would be much appreciated!
Tips:

- Buy a protective sleeve or case for your MBP (search the forum for previous threads).

- DON'T DON'T DON't drink ANY beverages when using your MBP!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
G3XOI

G3XOI is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Tips:

- DON'T DON'T DON't drink ANY beverages when using your MBP!!!

- Nick
*Put's down can of coke*

The only thing I would suggest is that you don't leave it plugged in for large amounts of time once the battery has fully charged since this will greatly reduce the battery life!

I shouldn't worry too much though, since they do last a long, long time!
QUOTE Thanks
MacJenny

MacJenny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,

Onyx is a great utility for keeping it clean and running smoothly. You can find it here:
Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX

15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod
QUOTE Thanks
TomWilliams

TomWilliams is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" 2.26GHz

thanks everyone! pigoo3 do you mean a sleeve for carrying it around or something that would stay permanently on?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

Try not to leave it in excessively cold or warm places as it will reduce your battery life. Try not to eat or drink around it and be careful when moving it around. I recommend putting it to sleep before moving it because it reduces the risk of damage.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Follow these instructions to calibrate your battery and keep it in good condition for as long as possible.

And as mentioned, if it is charged to 100% and you're not using it, don't leave it plugged in. You can leave it plugged in as long as you're using it. My brother does that with his white MB that he purchased in early 2008 and the battery is in good condition to this day.
QUOTE Thanks
stickerdontwork

stickerdontwork is on a distinguished road

wash your hands before using it so you dont get those annoying oil stains on the track pad and palm rests

Mac specs: late 2009 MBP 15 inch 2.53ghz 4gb Ram 320 gb HDD, 32 gb iphone 3gs white, 16 gb iphone 2g
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

*Use Onyx as mentioned before.

*Upgrade to leopard (I don't think this HAS to be done, but I guess Leopard speeds up system performance, adds a virus app, etc.)

*Close your MBP before moving it

*Don't leave plugged in after 100% charged unless your using the computer

*Turn off Bluetooth if your not using it

*Use the soft tissue slip that came with the Mac to clean the screen. Don't put any liquids or anything on the slip, just use it to clean the screen.

**Keep the restore disk in a SAFE PLACE !

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Have fun with your new toy

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
*Upgrade to leopard (I don't think this HAS to be done, but I guess Leopard speeds up system performance, adds a virus app, etc.)
I'm assuming that since he just bought his macbook pro 2 weeks ago, that it already has snow leopard on it but I could be wrong.

QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Windows mentality, which I also had hahaha. There is really nothing you need to do to maintain the hardware or software except installing Apple updates. Physically, I got a really nice WWII-style messenger cotton canvas laptop bag by Case Logic. It is padded on all sides, and looks like you are on the European front haha. Also, obviously, do not spill wine etc. on it lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Pro View Post
I'm assuming that since he just bought his macbook pro 2 weeks ago, that it already has snow leopard on it but I could be wrong.
I have a MBP and it didn't come pre installed on my mac. Got mine this passing christmas.

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

Contrary to what everyone else is saying, I do not believe that keeping your MacBook Pro charged will harm your battery.

According to what my Coconut Battery app is saying, the battery does not charge while at 100%...

I would still calibrate the battery once in a while. =)
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Tek View Post
I have a MBP and it didn't come pre installed on my mac. Got mine this passing christmas.
That's strange because I got my iMac on Christmas as well and it came pre installed with snow leopard.

QUOTE Thanks
LogicBox

LogicBox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Tek View Post

Virus app????? I just got confused I though it didnt have a virus app on there, Im still learning my OSX Snow Leopard sorry if this sounds dumb.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Email recipient request | update question »