Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.
    New to Macs, any tips?
    Hi everyone, just bought a Macbook (not Pro) earlier today and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a Mac newbie? I have been a pc technician for 4 years now but only rarely used a Mac.

Cheers
    Tom

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro & iMac and the best tip I can give is keep reading this site. My biggest concern was being able to do all the things on my Mac's that I did on the PC's such as photo editing, converting video to make DVD's or MP4's for my iPhone, ripping DVD's, etc.. I have found a program/app to do every single thing I need just by reading this site (and asking a few?'s of course). I am now 100% free of my PC's and my aggravation with computers is gone!
     MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
     MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
     iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
     iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB

Specs:
    Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    I got a Macbook just the other day too! Just enjoy!! It is great.

Specs:
    alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
    I recently purchased a MacBook Pro & iMac and the best tip I can give is keep reading this site. My biggest concern was being able to do all the things on my Mac's that I did on the PC's such as photo editing, converting video to make DVD's or MP4's for my iPhone, ripping DVD's, etc.. I have found a program/app to do every single thing I need just by reading this site (and asking a few?'s of course). I am now 100% free of my PC's and my aggravation with computers is gone!
    I agree completely. This site--and the Switcher Hangout forum in particular--is great for "newbs" such as yourself . And I've also found that the main problem among people experienced enough with computers is working out how to use different applications/methods to do what they were previously doing. Surprisingly, it's a lot of fun.

You'll love the Mac.

Specs:
    Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    I am learning alot by asking questions here (and trying their patience I am sure haha), and just playing around with OS X.

Specs:
    Thanks for the replys. I can't wait to get hold of my Mac now! should have it tuesday hopefully.

I was thinking of upgrading it to snow leopard 10.6 straight away or is it best to stick with 10.5 for a while first off?

Cheers
    Tom

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
    External Hard drives

Whatever new external hard drive you get, make sure you format it as FAT32 so you can use it on both mac and windows. You never know when you need it

Recently i had to use my hard drive to backup my playstation 3, thank god i made it FAT32

Touch Pad

As soon as i got my mac, i went to preferences and enabled one finger tapping, two finger secondary click etc..it's so much better!

i remember when i first got my mac i never knew about it and was constantly holding down CTRL and clicking!

Spaces

I don't know how many people use Spaces, but i really love it. Soon as got my mac, i set up spaces allocating my emails to a different desktop, my microsoft word to another, safari to another one and so forth..made my life more efficient and easier. No more clouding of windows and minimising mania

Regarding Snow leopard- i would suggest upgrading straight away, even through there aren't any drastic changes from first glance, it's better to get used to snow leopard...more efficient and faster, certain subtle things like the new stash is much better

If you purchased your macbook from apple, it should come with snow leopard installed anyway, right?
    Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.

Specs:
    27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
    I highly recommend picking up a book about macs and OS X. They contain a lot if useful information and it will help you out a lot as you learn your way around OS X.
    Use the reputation system

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    When you are in the learning process...keep telling yourself it's not Windows over and over so you won't get frustrated...>_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Thanks again people, spot on information! will see about getting a guide for it too.

Tom

congrats on the mac book!

Apple provided a one-to-one tuition/coaching service for a whole bunch of apple services, including help form switchers, how to use a mac, ilife, etc etc..i had a VERY bad expereince with it on my first session, but that was down to the muppet the store had emplyed ( they have fired the person after several complaints from other customers)

the apple staff are very knowledgable and know the answers to almost everything.

Specs:
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    First tip: You may need to go to your System Preferences and activate your right (secondary) mouse click. Apple has been shipping configured for a one button mouse.

Second tip: You need to download/install Flip4Mac which allows your Mac to play Windows Movie files which are everywhere on the web.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
    congrats on the mac book!

Apple provided a one-to-one tuition/coaching service for a whole bunch of apple services, including help form switchers, how to use a mac, ilife, etc etc..i had a VERY bad expereince with it on my first session, but that was down to the muppet the store had emplyed ( they have fired the person after several complaints from other customers)

the apple staff are very knowledgable and know the answers to almost everything.
    Thanks . Are these lessons expensive? I have an apple shop in the next city so could be do able if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    First tip: You may need to go to your System Preferences and activate your right (secondary) mouse click. Apple has been shipping configured for a one button mouse.

Second tip: You need to download/install Flip4Mac which allows your Mac to play Windows Movie files which are everywhere on the web.
    Great stuff, All noted down lol.

Tom

woohoo!

mac newb, first post

i just got mine yesterday - basic imac - i'm loving it!

thanks for the tip on the mouse right click

Just have fun with it. Basically, it's just a computer - though admittedly a pretty cool one.

Thread Information