New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Macs, any tips?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tom163

Tom163 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.1 Core2, 1GB Ram, 160GB HD. 8GB Touch.

Hi everyone, just bought a Macbook (not Pro) earlier today and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a Mac newbie? I have been a pc technician for 4 years now but only rarely used a Mac.

Cheers
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro & iMac and the best tip I can give is keep reading this site. My biggest concern was being able to do all the things on my Mac's that I did on the PC's such as photo editing, converting video to make DVD's or MP4's for my iPhone, ripping DVD's, etc.. I have found a program/app to do every single thing I need just by reading this site (and asking a few?'s of course). I am now 100% free of my PC's and my aggravation with computers is gone!

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I got a Macbook just the other day too! Just enjoy!! It is great.
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post
I recently purchased a MacBook Pro & iMac and the best tip I can give is keep reading this site. My biggest concern was being able to do all the things on my Mac's that I did on the PC's such as photo editing, converting video to make DVD's or MP4's for my iPhone, ripping DVD's, etc.. I have found a program/app to do every single thing I need just by reading this site (and asking a few?'s of course). I am now 100% free of my PC's and my aggravation with computers is gone!
I agree completely. This site--and the Switcher Hangout forum in particular--is great for "newbs" such as yourself . And I've also found that the main problem among people experienced enough with computers is working out how to use different applications/methods to do what they were previously doing. Surprisingly, it's a lot of fun.

You'll love the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I am learning alot by asking questions here (and trying their patience I am sure haha), and just playing around with OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Thanks for the replys. I can't wait to get hold of my Mac now! should have it tuesday hopefully.

I was thinking of upgrading it to snow leopard 10.6 straight away or is it best to stick with 10.5 for a while first off?

Cheers
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
SpliCer261

SpliCer261 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone

External Hard drives

Whatever new external hard drive you get, make sure you format it as FAT32 so you can use it on both mac and windows. You never know when you need it

Recently i had to use my hard drive to backup my playstation 3, thank god i made it FAT32

Touch Pad

As soon as i got my mac, i went to preferences and enabled one finger tapping, two finger secondary click etc..it's so much better!

i remember when i first got my mac i never knew about it and was constantly holding down CTRL and clicking!

Spaces

I don't know how many people use Spaces, but i really love it. Soon as got my mac, i set up spaces allocating my emails to a different desktop, my microsoft word to another, safari to another one and so forth..made my life more efficient and easier. No more clouding of windows and minimising mania

Regarding Snow leopard- i would suggest upgrading straight away, even through there aren't any drastic changes from first glance, it's better to get used to snow leopard...more efficient and faster, certain subtle things like the new stash is much better

If you purchased your macbook from apple, it should come with snow leopard installed anyway, right?

Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I highly recommend picking up a book about macs and OS X. They contain a lot if useful information and it will help you out a lot as you learn your way around OS X.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

When you are in the learning process...keep telling yourself it's not Windows over and over so you won't get frustrated...>_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Thanks again people, spot on information! will see about getting a guide for it too.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

congrats on the mac book!

Apple provided a one-to-one tuition/coaching service for a whole bunch of apple services, including help form switchers, how to use a mac, ilife, etc etc..i had a VERY bad expereince with it on my first session, but that was down to the muppet the store had emplyed ( they have fired the person after several complaints from other customers)

the apple staff are very knowledgable and know the answers to almost everything.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

First tip: You may need to go to your System Preferences and activate your right (secondary) mouse click. Apple has been shipping configured for a one button mouse.

Second tip: You need to download/install Flip4Mac which allows your Mac to play Windows Movie files which are everywhere on the web.
QUOTE Thanks
Tom163

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox9er View Post
congrats on the mac book!

Apple provided a one-to-one tuition/coaching service for a whole bunch of apple services, including help form switchers, how to use a mac, ilife, etc etc..i had a VERY bad expereince with it on my first session, but that was down to the muppet the store had emplyed ( they have fired the person after several complaints from other customers)

the apple staff are very knowledgable and know the answers to almost everything.
Thanks . Are these lessons expensive? I have an apple shop in the next city so could be do able if the price is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
First tip: You may need to go to your System Preferences and activate your right (secondary) mouse click. Apple has been shipping configured for a one button mouse.

Second tip: You need to download/install Flip4Mac which allows your Mac to play Windows Movie files which are everywhere on the web.
Great stuff, All noted down lol.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
robotboy175

robotboy175 is on a distinguished road

woohoo!

mac newb, first post

i just got mine yesterday - basic imac - i'm loving it!

thanks for the tip on the mouse right click
QUOTE Thanks
Mr. Drums

Mr. Drums has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just have fun with it. Basically, it's just a computer - though admittedly a pretty cool one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Make things bigger | wallpapers??? »