Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

software to convert PDF to TIFF black and white
    I need software that will allow me to email scanned documents in black and white rather than grayscale after converting from PDF to TIFF. Preview will allow me to save PDF docs. as TIFF (I also have to have 200 dpi, which Preview also allows.) The problem I am having is that they are in grayscale and not able to be integrated into the system my company uses. They are also too large.

Specs:
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    You can also use Preview to downsize the file and to save as jpg, which is smaller than a tiff file. Use Tools to downsize to, say, 50% of the original, then File>Save as - jpg. That should do it.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Gimp, Photoshop?
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    If you can tell me a bit more about the requirements the file needs to meet (acceptable filetypes, etc), I bet this can be done using Automator and a folder action.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
    imagetricks
    Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    If you can tell me a bit more about the requirements the file needs to meet (acceptable filetypes, etc), I bet this can be done using Automator and a folder action.
    It must be a TIFF group 4 file, 200 dpi, black and white, not grayscale. Documents will be emailed in this format to my company's 'Document Power Enterprise' by Mc Leod Imaging.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    With respect, your company's "Document Power Enterprise" needs to get out of the late 80s.

I guess the part I'm not understanding is why you don't just scan the documents in 200dpi B&W TIFF in the first place? Most scanner software I've ever seen has this option, since its the preferred format for faxing.*

*for the younger readers here, faxing was an old-fashioned way of emailing stuff through the phone lines. Very crude and unsophisticated, and fell out of use in the 1990s.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post

*for the younger readers here, faxing was an old-fashioned way of emailing stuff through the phone lines. Very crude and unsophisticated, and fell out of use in the 1990s.
    with due respect where i come from people still use the 90's FAX still. Its great for business and i cant understand how you can say its old fashioned. Just because we have computers and the technology gets better and better doesnt mean we have to get rid of things that work a treat and are still good in business. Its a bit one eyed IMO and out of sync .........
    I find it easier and more efficient to FAX a document than 1st scanning it then having to email it. When your looking for people to pay up once a invoice is sent by FAX they cant say they didnt receive it, so there is no excuse, compared to those that say "oh sorry mate i didnt check my email for a week" or the classic " sorry but i didnt receive a email from you with the Invoice"

Now having sent a FAX of the invoice to them they have no comeback ....
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    with due respect where i come from people still use the 90's FAX still. Its great for business and i cant understand how you can say its old fashioned. Just because we have computers and the technology gets better and better doesnt mean we have to get rid of things that work a treat and are still good in business. Its a bit one eyed IMO and out of sync .........
    I find it easier and more efficient to FAX a document than 1st scanning it then having to email it. When your looking for people to pay up once a invoice is sent by FAX they cant say they didnt receive it, so there is no excuse, compared to those that say "oh sorry mate i didnt check my email for a week" or the classic " sorry but i didnt receive a email from you with the Invoice"

Now having sent a FAX of the invoice to them they have no comeback ....
    It fell in the trash...>_>"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    It fell in the trash...>_>"
    Will keep my eye out for that one
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    With respect, your company's "Document Power Enterprise" needs to get out of the late 80s.

I guess the part I'm not understanding is why you don't just scan the documents in 200dpi B&W TIFF in the first place? Most scanner software I've ever seen has this option, since its the preferred format for faxing.*

We are using portable scanners from our truck; hence the emailing instead of faxing. I was hoping I didn't have to buy another portable scanner since the Neatworks I own won't do the job. It is 'set' to B&W, however the scans still come out grayscale.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Gimp, Photoshop?
    I tried both and they just can't get away from the grayscale or color. Unless i don't know how to do it, which is entirely possible. I guess that is why I am here. I'm trying to figure out specifically how to convert those files with software for a Mac. PDF TO TIFF, PDF TO JPG, PDF TO BMP, PDF TO PNG, PDF TO TEXT CONVERTER,DVD RIPPER has software that will do it for a PC,
    Xerox has a portable scanner that will work but is not Mac compatible. I don't want to regret buying a Mac just because my company is stuck with 80's software that they probably got at a yardsale

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila View Post
    We are using portable scanners from our truck; hence the emailing instead of faxing. I was hoping I didn't have to buy another portable scanner since the Neatworks I own won't do the job. It is 'set' to B&W, however the scans still come out grayscale.
    It seems to me that the primary issue is the scanning software that comes with your scanner - it only wants to output in PDF files?

If so, try scanning using Image Capture (it's in either Applications => Image Capture or Applications => Utilities => Image Capture).

If that doesn't work, check out VueScan:

http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

It may just be that you need more capable scanning software that can output in a variety of file types. TIFF is still pretty standard for professional, enterprise-scale document management software.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It seems to me that the primary issue is the scanning software that comes with your scanner - it only wants to output in PDF files?

If so, try scanning using Image Capture (it's in either Applications => Image Capture or Applications => Utilities => Image Capture).

If that doesn't work, check out VueScan:

VueScan Scanner Software

It may just be that you need more capable scanning software that can output in a variety of file types. TIFF is still pretty standard for professional, enterprise-scale document management software.
    I can convert to TIFF easily. But they are still grayscale even when choosing the B&W option in Image Capture. My IT people tell me they need to be B&W with a file size of 20-40 kb per document.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    I saw this thread earlier and the obvious answer has just hit me

Graphic Converter
    Apple photo software - Mac picture editor, photo editor, image editor, graphics conversion

You can try it fully functioning for free, it opens PDF files and I can confirm it can convert to bitmap (black and white), set the resolution and save to TIFF

I use it all the time, it can open and save to just about any format you can name, and a few you have never heard of
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Thread Information