New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

the right beginner MAC for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LIVLUVLAF

LIVLUVLAF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: nothing yet ... still salivating at the counter.

The Specs:
Quad 2.5 Ghz PPC G5 Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 with 256 MB of GDDR2 SDRAM Super Drive
One 230 GB Hard drive ,
4.5GB of DDR 2 Ram

My needs: (two issues):

1) I need to run an accounting software using virtual windows, I've been told I need a processor 2ghz or better to have both XOS & Windows open simultaneously.

2) Editing photos and video. I work with photos, but my husband currently edits HD video on a PC. I'd like to throw Video editing (Final Cut?) software on my new computer and let him play with it, to see if it will work (better!) for him. But if the video card or ram wont handle his needs - it wont impress him enough to get his own.

We have a million external hard drives, that is the spec I'm least concerned about.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It will do the photos and video editing just fine.

The issue is running Windows. The newer intel macs run windows, well, just as fast as a PC. That mac, while powerful, still has the PowerPC G5 processor. Fine for running OSX, but cannot run windows natively, it will have to use emulation software like Virtual PC.

If one of your main concerns is running windows, while enjoying the Mac OS, go for an Intel Mac, depending on your budget, even the mac mini Core2Duo intel will outpace the G5

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

I would also recommend a Mac Mini to you. You'll probably be able to get a new one for the same price as that PowerMac as it is the top-of-the-line model.

However, since you need to use Windows, the PowerMac isn't a good choice as running Windows on an emulator such as Virtual PC is quite frankly painful...

With the Mini you'll have a faster computer, smaller case and also able to run the latest Mac software along side Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
LIVLUVLAF

OP here:

Good to know about Windows - thank you! If "virtual windows" is anything like my experience with "virtual XP" on my PC (Vista didn't have drivers for my version of Quickbooks)... what a pain! Ok, lets avoid repeating that ... must be an Intel processor, above 2Ghz. I was hoping to buy the hardware for under $1000, as I have alot of software to buy. But with the news that previous gen processors won't work for windows, I may have to rethink this.

You're recommending the mini - it's only dual core? You're confident it will hold its own for rendering HD video?

I have a really good dual monitor setup already, which is why I'm not thinking IMAC.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The number of Cores means nothing when comparing a Power PC G5 to an Intel Core2Duo. Totally different CPU and Architecture. It's like back in the day when a 2.0Ghz AMD wiped the floor over a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz and above. You can't compare different architectures.

My 2.1 Ghz iMac G5 Power PC takes 2.5-3 hours to convert most AVI's to a DVD for burning while my 2.16 C2D Mini takes 22-25 minutes for the exact same file using the exact same application.

Also the latest Mini will handle Dual Displays. Older Minis would not.

For basic computing the G5 is still fine but for doing real work and fast, go Intel. Also no new version of OSX will run on a Power PC CPU and all the new software coming out will not either. That is why the above poster recommended the Mini to you to try out Macs and OSX.

First Picture, Movie footage in AVI format. iMac G5 2.1Ghz.
Second Picture, Same exact AVI, Application and settings. Mac Mini 2.16C2D.

I can convert 5 movies in the time the G5 would finish just one. The Mini is so fast I had to rush to get the screen shot. Since the new Mini's use faster RAM, CPU they should even be faster than my modded first generation Intel Mini.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (88.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-01-09 at 1.20.57 PM.png (69.0 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, iPhone 6 128Gb, iPad Air 2 128Gb, NEC PA322UHD

You need to remember the PowerMac is about 4-5 year old and although it is still a very good PC a new Mac Mini could easily keep pace or beat it at the majority of tasks.

The new 2.53GHz Mini with, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, nVidia 9400M graphics would be my choice and its $799 new. You can also hook up both of your monitors to it - although you'll need some adapters...

I'd suggest you go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby and check them out.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

I also think the mac mini is a good choice. They really are great little computers and they are often underestimated. It will be faster than the G5, and as already stated, you will be able to run windows in bootcamp as it has an intel processor. Good Luck!

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

quad core I think will do anything you want lol
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
quad core I think will do anything you want lol
The problem is the OP needs to run windows and with the G5, bootcamp will not work. The new mac mini will actually be faster than the G5 quad core even though it only has two cores compared to the four cores of the G5.

QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Gotcha. Makes sense. Mini faster? Wow I did not know. That actually is great, because it means these Intel processors are really good!
QUOTE Thanks
LIVLUVLAF

Wow - I love you guys ... In two hours I've learned more than weeks of research!

ok, I'll start shopping around for the mini. I'll go for the 2.53 or 2.66 - anything you would or wouldn't buy/upgrade at the time of purchase?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
Gotcha. Makes sense. Mini faster? Wow I did not know. That actually is great, because it means these Intel processors are really good!
Indeed they are. Many underestimate the mini but I think it is great.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVLUVLAF View Post
Wow - I love you guys ... In two hours I've learned more than weeks of research!

ok, I'll start shopping around for the mini. I'll go for the 2.53 or 2.66 - anything you would or wouldn't buy/upgrade at the time of purchase?
The 2.53 should be fine. I don't think you would notice a difference between the two. I wouldn't upgrade anything really. You already said you have plenty of external hard drives so I assume hard drive space is not an issue. I think stock should be just fine for you.

QUOTE Thanks
alexsd123

alexsd123 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13"

If you're going to get a new Mac, I would suggest taking a look into the iMacs.

The iMacs may be more expensive, but they really are a great deal.

You get a 3 GHz processor, 500 GB hard drive beautiful 21 inch screen, the magic mouse, and a keyboard.

With the mini, you get a 2.5 GHz processor, 320 HB HD, no monitor, no mouse, no keyboard.

You could always sell the keyboard & mouse for $100+

iMac price = $1200

Mac Mini = $800

You can also try to find a used mac, try checking out craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsd123 View Post
If you're going to get a new Mac, I would suggest taking a look into the iMacs.

The iMacs may be more expensive, but they really are a great deal.

You get a 3 GHz processor, 500 GB hard drive beautiful 21 inch screen, the magic mouse, and a keyboard.

With the mini, you get a 2.5 GHz processor, 320 HB HD, no monitor, no mouse, no keyboard.

iMac price = $1200

Mac Mini = $800

You can also try to find a used mac, try checking out craigslist.
I agree the iMac is a good deal but the OP said that they didn't want/need an iMac as they already have a nice dual monitor setup.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!! /usr file accidentally deleted!! | Did I mess up my mac? Tried to fix/ reinstall »