New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Have I Brought The Right Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scotty6kids

scotty6kids is on a distinguished road

Hi
I am completely new to MAC and have been a Windows user since the days of Windows 3.11.

We have been thinking about a new computer for a while now and have just decided that we would go down the MAC route to see how much better the general OS is than anything that Windows can put together. We don't really use games on the PC however we are pretty big users for music and currently iTunes is the most run program on the current computers. We also have lots of photos and videos that we constantly download from the internet.

Now, with that usage in mind, have we made the right decision?

The machine that we have ordered and that is being delivered in 5 days is the new i5 core 27in MAC.

its look stunning however will it actually do everything that we want?

Obvious, the ability to run games would be good as it seems to one of the top rated ATI cards. Also, it would be good to be able to run Windows natively if possible to overcome any switching issues.

Anyway, thats it for my first post?

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That is a very very fast machine and will do just about anything you throw at it.

It will also run windows extremely well

What else you want it to do is up to you, getting the right advice and softwaer to do any task is just a matter of asking for advice on this forum

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

that is a very nice " thought we would see" Well in for a penny in for a pound ! Congtats and welcome aboard.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

You have a very nice machine coming - I'm quite jealous =D
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Yeah, definitely a great choice for your first Mac and welcome aboard!

I have no doubt it will do everything you throw at it and more. The new 27" iMac's look superb too.
QUOTE Thanks
scotty6kids

I think that I am just worried as its something new, I know Windows however I am growing tired with the ever constant errors, unexplained freezes and the general feel that all the new OS's are just repackaged old ones with the original errors fixed.

as long as the playing of DIVX, AVi and other file formats is fine then great.

What I would like to know is if there is a way of connecting my XBOX into it via HDMI, I know that I need a converter but what kind of from where.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

For a comphrensive video player checkout VLC by VideoLAN. It'll play absolutely anything!

The only way you could connect an X-Box is by using a TV Tuner, but the lag that comes with using these will make it more or less unusable unfortunately. You'd be better off keeping the X-Box hooked up to a TV to be honest...
QUOTE Thanks
scotty6kids

I heard there was a cable that takes the minidisplay port and allows you to plug a HMDI lead into it.

Does this exist or is it rubbish and if so, will it handle the HDMI audio as well?
QUOTE Thanks
clonehappy

clonehappy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 1TB HD | ATI Radeon 4670 256MB | iPhone (1st gen)

You will love that iMac I just got a 27" one for Christmas, I've never been so happy with a computer. It does help that my hubby has been a mac user for years and helps me with the things I can't find, but it's a beautiful, sleek, very fast and smooth machine. You won't be disappointed Welcome to the wonderful life that is mac

 - if this is not an Apple icon, you are missing out, and it looks delicious
QUOTE Thanks
robin1232

robin1232 is on a distinguished road

yep, you made the right choice, but make sure you make that windows partition immideately, else you might have to defrag (and all utilities that do that cost money)
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty6kids View Post
I heard there was a cable that takes the minidisplay port and allows you to plug a HMDI lead into it.

Does this exist or is it rubbish and if so, will it handle the HDMI audio as well?
For a better description see this page on a review of the new iMac 27" by Ars Technica which explains the usages of this port fully.

In summary, it is limited to devices that already have a mini-display port fitted. So your limited to other Macs with the mini-display port at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

You definitely made a good choice going with the i5 27" iMac. I have the i7 27" iMac and it will do anything I throw at it. It has been great so far. It will easily run windows and it will last you a long time.

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

It can do everything you want it to and more, I just got a new 27" but not the quad core and I use it just about exactly how your guys do with no problems so your machine will be perfect for what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
G3XOI

G3XOI is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM

I want your Mac quite badly!

lol welcome aboard!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« xfire, for mac...? | Equalizer »