New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

macbook 13" bootcamp help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poseidon

poseidon is on a distinguished road

im new at mac but have always liked them and looked on from afar, lol, i recently purchased a macbook unibody 13" for 799$ with a 200$ mail in rebate, i got it becuase i found out i can play my PC games on it using boot camp....1 crucial problem i overlooked, were can i find a fresh copy of windows XP to install using bootcamp, since 7 just came out where am i gonna find XP not torrented....ANY HELP PLEASE
QUOTE Thanks
investinchad

investinchad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Uni 13/2.53 SL- iPhone 3g

That is a fantastic price for a MB. Would that make the final price $599? Where did you buy it at?

I got my non-retail copy of XP on ebay for $30. Just make sure to buy from a reputable seller.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Mac Pro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD

For windows xp, check out ebay.com, amazon.com and newegg.com

Use the reputation system
QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

thanks guys, and no, i got the macbook for 799$ as the final price wich is still a steal i think, it was 999$ (the new unibody one) and i actually dont even notice that the screen is only 13" even coming from my 17" dell precison!
if i dual boot windows xp and snow, will games like mirrors edge and LOTRC play at least as smoothly on it as it did on my dell?
my dell: core2duo2.2ghz,nvidia quadro fx, 1 gbram, and windows xp sp2
my (adorably awesome new) macbook: Apple - MacBook - Technical Specifications
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

It should play very comparable to your dell as the specs are very similar but I am not completely sure as I don't use my mac for gaming.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

To the OP:

Stay away from copies of XP that are not legally licensed by MS. Your best bet is to purchase an OEM System Builders full XP Home SP3 from NewEgg. Go here. Price is still $92.

Stay away from eBay or Craig's list. Most copies from there are going to be pirated or have an illegal product key that probably will not pass MS Genuine Windows validation.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
To the OP:

Stay away from copies of XP that are not legally licensed by MS. Your best bet is to purchase an OEM System Builders full XP Home SP3 from NewEgg. Go here. Price is still $92.

Stay away from eBay or Craig's list. Most copies from there are going to be pirated or have an illegal product key that probably will not pass MS Genuine Windows validation.

Regards.
Good advice. I have heard multiple accounts of people who have purchased illegal/pirated versions of windows operating systems and then were not able to use them. Pay the extra bit of money to be sure you have a legal copy of xp.

QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

thanks, but what does it mean, "for system builders"?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
thanks, but what does it mean, "for system builders"?
It basically means it's intended for system builders and not home users but it will work fine. Windows xp home editions are not made anymore, so the system builder edition is your only choice unless you want to buy from ebay. What I mean by system builder is someone who builds computers and it is meant to be installed on a computer for resale. It will function the same as normal windows xp if you were wondering.

QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

thanks
this has helped me alot, now i just gotta find the time to get xp and install it since im so lazy and impressed at how much im liking this mac
QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

[QUOTE=investinchad;975959]That is a fantastic price for a MB. Would that make the final price $599? Where did you buy it at?

got it at micro center
QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

i have the re-installation disk for my dell laptop.... the product key for windows is actually on a sticker on the bottom of my dell laptop...think i could try to install it in parellels?
also, is it possible to use the trial version of parallels to install?

new macbook unibody 13" (only 799$) core 2 duo 2.28ghz, 2gb RAM, 250gb,macosx snow leopard
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The XP reinstallation disk - whether it's a full install or recovery install version is tied to your Dell and can not be moved or used on another machine.

Buy a legal version of XP and yes, it can be installed using the Parallels trial version.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
poseidon

kk, thnx

new macbook unibody 13" (only 799$) core 2 duo 2.28ghz, 2gb RAM, 250gb,macosx snow leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« loading music from memory stick to itunes | Recording Streaming Video? »