Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made the switch

made the switch
    and joined the forum!

hi guys! i'm now using a macbook.

Specs:
    Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    Congrats! I love my new one. What do you think so far?

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Welcome to the forums.

Don't forget to enter your machine's specs so they show up under your name and avatar. That'll give everyone a better idea of what they're dealing with when they answer any questions. Also cuts down on replies asking for your specs.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Wow if dairy made the switch, I wonder where cheese and yogurt are? >_>"""

Welcome to the forums. ^-^"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
    Probably still in the fridge.

Welcome to the forum!!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro
    Apple Care?
    After 20+ years of using a PC and owning 5 different PCs, I made the switch to Mac in December. So far, I love everything. I have a question and since I wasn't sure where to post it, I'm posting it here in hopes someone has an answer or can redirect me.
    I never had to have any repairs on any of my 5 pcs. I've heard wonderful things about Macs so I'm wondering, why I would need to pay the price of Apple Care. Can anyone tell me of their experience with Macs regarding repairs?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevgi View Post
    After 20+ years of using a PC and owning 5 different PCs, I made the switch to Mac in December. So far, I love everything. I have a question and since I wasn't sure where to post it, I'm posting it here in hopes someone has an answer or can redirect me.
    I never had to have any repairs on any of my 5 pcs. I've heard wonderful things about Macs so I'm wondering, why I would need to pay the price of Apple Care. Can anyone tell me of their experience with Macs regarding repairs?
    It's an insurance policy, like any other extended warranty. Some like having the peace of mind in knowing that if there's a hardware failure, they're covered for the costs. And since Apple parts tend to be pretty salty, it can be worth it. If you do decide to buy it, I'd recommend looking to third parties, as it can be had cheaper elsewhere. Just stay away from eBay, as I've heard of scams surrounding Apple Care there.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevgi View Post
    WOW how lucky were you ... 5PC's and no repair. Would have to be a record

As with getting the Apple care, nothing these days are fail safe, including Mac's. Yes as good as they are in there hardware and software that goes with it, you can still experience problems.
    Like if i was to by a new car with 5 yrs warranty, it would be a awesome buy, but if they could chuck in another 5 yrs warranty for me for $1000, with what i paid for the car and that extra i would see it as a good deal. If i was to have that car for more than 5 yrs, i think it would be acceptional value as the years go on i wouldnt have to worry about it breaking as i know it would be covered
    Cheers and Welcome to the forum ....
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    WOW how lucky were you ... 5PC's and no repair. Would have to be a record
    As much as we'd like to think that our Macs are baptized in pixie dust, under the hood, the hardware is very much the same commodity hardware used in ordinary Windows machines. In fact, much of Apple's hardware is made by Foxconn (I've also heard ASUS).

But to be quite honest, the only hardware I rarely see fail anymore on PCs is hard drives and the occasional fan or two. Macs are just as susceptible to those kinds of failures (mechanical in nature).

Where I think PCs really get the unreliable reputation is in the OS. 90% of my little side business repairing PCs is malware related. The other 8% or so is hard drives.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    As much as we'd like to think that our Macs are baptized in pixie dust, under the hood, the hardware is very much the same commodity hardware used in ordinary Windows machines. In fact, much of Apple's hardware is made by Foxconn (I've also heard ASUS).

But to be quite honest, the only hardware I rarely see fail anymore on PCs is hard drives and the occasional fan or two. Macs are just as susceptible to those kinds of failures (mechanical in nature).

Where I think PCs really get the unreliable reputation is in the OS. 90% of my little side business repairing PCs is malware related. The other 8% or so is hard drives.
    Yea i do understand that, as much as wish i had fairy dust. Was just going off personal experience, and those of friends. Weighing one up to the other ATM on my pie chart, Apple products are ahead at this point in time. But i do like it if ASUS are making hardware as ASUS Laptop is the only windows machine i havnt had break on me.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
    Congrats.! I too am awaiting delivery of my MBP today, so excited

Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    I'd be afraid to get another $1000-$2500 Apple product without Apple Care. I always hand built my PC's and any problems which occurred hardware wise were always detected during the build, and went back right away for an exchange. I can count that experience on ONE finger. It was a MOBO, and that was in the 10+ years I had been building PC's.

Otherwise, it was Windows which was the root of all other problems.. or safer to say, third party software vendors. (still the fault of the Windows mentality)

With Apple however, there's nary any room for excuses since they hand pick all of their stuff in order for everything to match up really nicely. That said, I've noticed far more cases of hardware failure on this side of the pond vs the other. Why that is, I don't know... But I don't make false claims. It's just my observation in all the years of being on various PC forums, hardware was never really the issue with people.. Windows was.

Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, it seems to be the other way around, in that OS X is really pristine, but perhaps Apple's QC on the hardware side (especially their logic boards and graphic chip sets) isn't as tidy as it used to be. Is it because of the changes in the architecture ? Could be. Could be lots of things.

All I know is that I feel a LOT better having spent an extra couple of bills on Apple Care. I'll be purchasing it for the 13" uMBP before the year is up.

Doug

guys, i know this is a mac forum but plz, why all the fanboyism?

*OFFTOPIC*
    A pc is a good machine too. the hardware breaks more often just because there is 92% more pc hardware then there is mac hardware. The os breaks more often just because there are 92% more people using it. among them atleast 90% cant work with a computer. i cant honestly say that i find my mac more stable then ultimate 7, it breaks. nothing to do about it.

and the apple care... yes, see it like an insurance. (i did not get it) your able to get it later too,i found the 1025€ i just payed enough already ^^

Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
    and here we go again ! Hey DougB look now someone thinks your a fanboy too !
    Just because I think my Macbook was sprinkled with pixxie dust doesn't make me a fanboy does it ?

Clay

oh and to the OP congrats and welcome !

(note to baggss when he gets here-have a drink of your Kool-Aid before commenting)
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderface View Post
    What are you referring to?

Thread Information