New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Uninstalling Applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RGertner

RGertner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11

OK, So I finally made the switch last Thursday when my local Apple Store got the new iMac's in stock.

My buddy over the weekend decided that he would "help me out" and installed some freeware applications on my shiny new iMac. One of them being Limewire.

Now, I uninstalled the apps by just dragging them to the trash, and removed the new folders they put in my /documents folder. Do applications in a Mac leave any left over garbage like they do in Windows and if so, where should I start looking?

Thanks,
Ray
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

There maybe some in your preferences folder.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

You can do a search on your hard-drive for anything relating to that application and just drag & drop into the trash.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
RGertner

RGertner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11

Sweet, well now I know how spotlight works. I did I spotlight search and it came up with a few items in my Pref's folder and some other odds and ends. I just selected them all and tossed them in the trash.

Thanks!
Ray
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

Glad it worked.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacMini or eMac | Newbie Question »