New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I be using Safari ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hi Tek

Hi Tek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

What browser would you recommend to use on a MBP?
I haven't really had any issues, problems, slow downs with Safari, but before I came over to the bright side I was using Google Chrome.

I also ask that if your going to suggest a browser other then Safari, please give me a reason or two why I should be using that one instead of Safari. Just for some reassurance lol.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

“All things must come to an end, it is an inevitable part of the cycle of existence, all things must conclude”

-Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I suggest you use the one "you" like best and not allow the tastes of others to govern your own.

You could give one of these a try:
Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino, nightly Webkit builds, Chrome, OmniWeb, Flock, Shiira, BumperCar, ...

Try a few of them out a week at a time (at least long enough to know, that one is just not for your taste).

Here is a quick overview of many popular OS X browsers for your exploration.

I would suggest having 2-3 browsers at your disposal in case one crashes or some site or the other just doesn't work well in one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.

I use Fire Fox simply because I prefer it to Safari or any of the others that are available.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I'd been using Firefox primarily for the extension support..can't browse the web without Ad/Flash-block in place..I recently switched over to Chromium and that's working better than Firefox..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Safari is Ok, if a little buggy still in my opinion, and it just will not play video from some sites at times (in my experience). If you are running Snow Leopard it's somewhat worse, and exhibits some odd behaviour too.
Firefox is a lot of peoples choice, but I don't really like it much either, just because I don't!
Chrome is available now, but it's only in Beta. However, it's seems to work very well, and is certainly fast, and I really like it.
It's main issue is a lack of bookmarking at the moment. This will be fixed soon.

To sum up, I use all 3 from time to time, but mainly use Safari on my G4 laptop, and Chrome on my Snow Leopard equipped iMac.
I hope that helps.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
wooly

wooly is on a distinguished road

It all comes down to personal taste.

My personal favourite is firefox, i think it's generally the most popular one. Almost everyone i know uses it. I've heard pretty good things about google chrome, but i'm so used to firefox i can't see myself switching anytime soon. it hasn't given me any reason to switch either!

I'd say just try a few of them out and stick with the one you think is the handiest to use! you can always delete the other ones afterwards :-D
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Was using Firefox, then used Safari when I switched but now I'm onto Chrome which I think is just brilliant.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I have had nothing but good luck with Safari, and comparatively, I find it faster than the others. But to each his own!
QUOTE Thanks
candy1987

candy1987 is on a distinguished road

i am using firefox which has been working fine for me, i am using it since i heard that its safer to sur the web with..been using it for over 4 years and i like it..

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

I'm using Chrome over Safari... I dig it.
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (OS X Leopard 10.5.8), Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53Ghz), 4GB RAM, 7200RPM/250GB HDD

I was a FF user until Chrome was released. Since then I'v stuck with Chrome. So that being said, I think thats what I will go with. Just kind of concerned because i'm on a Mac now and Chrome is still in BETA, Don't wanna deal with crashes and stuff like that. If it happens alot ill give FF a try, but in my opinion Chrome > FF .. IMO
QUOTE Thanks
Hi Tek

Kind of disappointed the Mac version doesn't support extensions ..
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The nightly Chromium builds support extensions. If you're interested in the nightly Chromium (what Chrome arises out of) builds, you can download them here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Stick with what works for you - no browser is 'perfect' - however you might define that word. So just go with what you are comfortable with and what fits your needs. I've been using Firefox since before it was Firefox :-) but I occasionally use Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera. I suspect that Opera is the 'best' of all, but, somehow, I've never managed to form a relationship with it :-)
QUOTE Thanks
darklight7

darklight7 is on a distinguished road

i use to use firefox but find it too clunky and now use safari.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing Apple ID | Audio Software »