Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   Should I be using Safari ? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/184759-should-i-using-safari.html)

Hi Tek 01-06-2010 12:16 PM

Should I be using Safari ?

What browser would you recommend to use on a MBP?
I haven't really had any issues, problems, slow downs with Safari, but before I came over to the bright side I was using Google Chrome.

I also ask that if your going to suggest a browser other then Safari, please give me a reason or two why I should be using that one instead of Safari. Just for some reassurance lol.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

bobtomay 01-06-2010 12:26 PM

I suggest you use the one "you" like best and not allow the tastes of others to govern your own.

You could give one of these a try:
Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino, nightly Webkit builds, Chrome, OmniWeb, Flock, Shiira, BumperCar, ...

Try a few of them out a week at a time (at least long enough to know, that one is just not for your taste).

Here is a quick overview of many popular OS X browsers for your exploration.

I would suggest having 2-3 browsers at your disposal in case one crashes or some site or the other just doesn't work well in one.

Gandalph 01-06-2010 12:27 PM

I use Fire Fox simply because I prefer it to Safari or any of the others that are available.

Raz0rEdge 01-06-2010 12:30 PM

I'd been using Firefox primarily for the extension support..can't browse the web without Ad/Flash-block in place..I recently switched over to Chromium and that's working better than Firefox..

Regards

Kevriano 01-06-2010 12:31 PM

Safari is Ok, if a little buggy still in my opinion, and it just will not play video from some sites at times (in my experience). If you are running Snow Leopard it's somewhat worse, and exhibits some odd behaviour too.
Firefox is a lot of peoples choice, but I don't really like it much either, just because I don't!
Chrome is available now, but it's only in Beta. However, it's seems to work very well, and is certainly fast, and I really like it.
It's main issue is a lack of bookmarking at the moment. This will be fixed soon.

To sum up, I use all 3 from time to time, but mainly use Safari on my G4 laptop, and Chrome on my Snow Leopard equipped iMac.
I hope that helps.

wooly 01-06-2010 12:33 PM

It all comes down to personal taste.

My personal favourite is firefox, i think it's generally the most popular one. Almost everyone i know uses it. I've heard pretty good things about google chrome, but i'm so used to firefox i can't see myself switching anytime soon. it hasn't given me any reason to switch either!

I'd say just try a few of them out and stick with the one you think is the handiest to use! you can always delete the other ones afterwards :-D

True Bassist 01-06-2010 12:48 PM

Was using Firefox, then used Safari when I switched but now I'm onto Chrome which I think is just brilliant.

OnceYouGoMac 01-06-2010 01:48 PM

I have had nothing but good luck with Safari, and comparatively, I find it faster than the others. But to each his own!

candy1987 01-06-2010 02:32 PM

i am using firefox which has been working fine for me, i am using it since i heard that its safer to sur the web with..been using it for over 4 years and i like it..

hope this helps

DarkestRitual 01-07-2010 09:32 AM

I'm using Chrome over Safari... I dig it.

Hi Tek 01-07-2010 01:00 PM

I was a FF user until Chrome was released. Since then I'v stuck with Chrome. So that being said, I think thats what I will go with. Just kind of concerned because i'm on a Mac now and Chrome is still in BETA, Don't wanna deal with crashes and stuff like that. If it happens alot ill give FF a try, but in my opinion Chrome > FF .. IMO

Hi Tek 01-07-2010 01:10 PM

Kind of disappointed the Mac version doesn't support extensions :( ..

vansmith 01-07-2010 03:39 PM

The nightly Chromium builds support extensions. If you're interested in the nightly Chromium (what Chrome arises out of) builds, you can download them here.

didymus 01-09-2010 02:31 PM

Stick with what works for you - no browser is 'perfect' - however you might define that word. So just go with what you are comfortable with and what fits your needs. I've been using Firefox since before it was Firefox :-) but I occasionally use Safari, Google Chrome, and Opera. I suspect that Opera is the 'best' of all, but, somehow, I've never managed to form a relationship with it :-)

darklight7 01-09-2010 07:18 PM

i use to use firefox but find it too clunky and now use safari.