Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
    i use safari and firefox, but recently my firefox crashes whenever it goes to a site loading java.

Safari rocks though, i still get some pages not load because it requires explorer or firefox
    Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing - Solid Snake.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Should I use Crest or Aquafresh?

Seriously just use what you are comfortable with. It's not like you are going to die if you don't use Safari. >_>"

I love firefox because of the massive extensions and customization. Safari really lacks that, but it looks nice...too bad it's a resource hog. T_T"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I love firefox because of the massive extensions and customization. Safari really lacks that, but it looks nice...too bad it's a resource hog. T_T"
    Usually Firefox is noted as the memory hog especially with the memory leakage (I think this may have been fixed). I've never really noticed it too much with Firefox but I have had Safari beach ball on me for no apparent reason. That said, Safari usually seems much lighter and quicker.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Usually Firefox is noted as the memory hog especially with the memory leakage (I think this may have been fixed). I've never really noticed it too much with Firefox but I have had Safari beach ball on me for no apparent reason. That said, Safari usually seems much lighter and quicker.
    Not sure how you like to browse, but I usually have 20+ tabs open...and Safari apparently doesn't like that. I see more beach balls than summer vacation. >_>"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Not sure how you like to browse, but I usually have 20+ tabs open...and Safari apparently doesn't like that. I see more beach balls than summer vacation. >_>"
    I like to "cull" out tabs that I'm not using so I usually have no more than 4 or so open for any extensive period of time (especially if there is Flash content). I really want to try browsing with 20+ tabs in Safari now to test this out.

EDIT: After a very quick and subjective test, Safari did slow down on certain pages when I had 25 tabs open (you know how hard it was to come up with 25 different pages?). The pages it struggled with were pages with a lot of pictures (which may not be all that surprising). I would test this with Firefox but I get the feeling that I might get the same results.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    I like to "cull" out tabs that I'm not using so I usually have no more than 4 or so open for any extensive period of time (especially if there is Flash content). I really want to try browsing with 20+ tabs in Safari now to test this out.

EDIT: After a very quick and subjective test, Safari did slow down on certain pages when I had 25 tabs open (you know how hard it was to come up with 25 different pages?). The pages it struggled with were pages with a lot of pictures (which may not be all that surprising). I would test this with Firefox but I get the feeling that I might get the same results.
    Actually do try it out. I think the most tabs I ever had opened with firefox was 55, and even then it didn't beach ball me. It did slow down a little, but probably because of my tab preview plugin. >_>"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Actually do try it out. I think the most tabs I ever had opened with firefox was 55, and even then it didn't beach ball me. It did slow down a little, but probably because of my tab preview plugin. >_>"
    Crap on a cracker. Are you kidding? How in the world do you remember what's in all of those tabs?
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Should I use Crest or Aquafresh?
    Arm & Hammer with baking soda..lol

but yea i like Firefox for the same reasons...it is very customizable, among other things. the only thing i miss on Safari is the history feature.. but i have been about to deal without it.
    Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

Specs:
    15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
    I prefer Safari, simply because of the Top Sites feature. I can't surf without it.
    For sites that aren't Safari-friendly, I use Firefox. Safari does beachball on me occasionally.
    15" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, 32gb White iPhone 3GS, 160gb iPod

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Safari is the fastest performing browser at the present time in the Sun Spider Java benchmark as well as a lot of other benchmarks. Google Chrome is right behind it (Very close). Firefox (at least the release version) is quite a bit behind in most of those benchmarks. Do keep an eye out for Opera 10.5. Brand new Engine and it's right at the same level as Safari and Chrome in all those benchmarks. It's in Alpha right now.

That being said, I feel very conformable in Safari, but also love Firefox after all the years I have used it on Windows. I use Safari unless it has issues with a site then I go for Firefox and Opera in that order. When Chrome is finally officially released for OSX I am sure it will be in my main arsenal of browsers also. Also I am keeping my eye on that new Opera in Alpha. Very promising.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    i just got coolpreviews.. and wow that is a very nice addon i have been using cooliris for a bit now and the tab preview is a very nice addon.. good looking out Crimson

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

Specs:
    can you export bookmarks from firefox? so they can be put into safari

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Safari is the fastest performing browser at the present time in the Sun Spider Java benchmark as well as a lot of other benchmarks. Google Chrome is right behind it (Very close). Firefox (at least the release version) is quite a bit behind in most of those benchmarks. Do keep an eye out for Opera 10.5. Brand new Engine and it's right at the same level as Safari and Chrome in all those benchmarks. It's in Alpha right now.
    Safari/Webkit has always done well with JS in my own experience. You're right about Opera 10.5. That browser flies which is a nice improvement over it's current abysmal performance with JS. 10.5 is almost Safari fast with JS which means it's close to 10x faster with JS than 10.1 (IIRC). I think 10.2 (in beta right now) uses the same JS engine so it won't get the speed it needs. I can't wait for 10.5 (JS and Cocoa integration).
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
    can you export bookmarks from firefox? so they can be put into safari
    Yes very easily. You just need to have both firefox and safari's bookmark windows/side bar open at the same time. Then drag and drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Crap on a cracker. Are you kidding? How in the world do you remember what's in all of those tabs?
    With this:

Don't need to memorize anything. You can just flip/scroll through all the tabs that are open.

Quote Originally Posted by MacJenny View Post
    I prefer Safari, simply because of the Top Sites feature. I can't surf without it.
    For sites that aren't Safari-friendly, I use Firefox. Safari does beachball on me occasionally.
    I really do like the top site feature on Safari, but I think that what makes my computer beach ball when I open a new tab every time. Keep in mind I have 20+ tabs open. >_<"

Chrome has something similar if I'm not mistaken.

There is fast dial for firefox users. Similar to top sites on safari, it just doesn't have automatic updates...and you need to add your sites manually...but you get to choose what your thumbnails look like. Visual bookmark ^-^? Try it out.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Information