Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   i can't get this program to work .. (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/184744-i-cant-get-program-work.html)

candy1987 01-06-2010 10:40 AM

i can't get this program to work ..

i am trying to download xilisoft Converter Ultimate but after its done downloading
and i open it this is what comes up in textEdit "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

how can i get it to work?

Thanks,

martyp 01-06-2010 10:46 AM

Could you please provide me with a link to the application please?

I'm almost 99% sure but I believe this app is Windows-only and you are opening a '.exe' file up which Mac OS doesn't understand hence why TextEdit is launching and displaying code.

Nethfel 01-06-2010 10:50 AM

chances are you downloaded the wrong version - by default, they direct you to the PC version of the xilisoft softare unless you click the Mac Download link that can be easily missed...

this should take you to the page here:

Xilisoft Video Converter for Mac: Convert video and audio on Mac OS X

cwa107 01-06-2010 10:58 AM

This is yet another variant of the same crappy software that also underpins Aireesoft, iSkySoft and others.

These products are scams made by Chinese companies, advertised through forum spam (to increase Google page rank) and are half-baked at best. If you choose to purchase one of these products, be aware that these organizations are sleazy at best and your credit information is in jeopardy.

martyp 01-06-2010 11:04 AM

Surely you can get some freeware that does the exact same job?

cwa107 01-06-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyp (Post 974618)
Surely you can get some freeware that does the exact same job?

If it's just the media converter, ffmpegx, Handbrake and VisualHub (hard to find these days) are preferable.

candy1987 01-06-2010 01:57 PM

this is the link DVD Creator for Mac - Mac DVD burner to burn DVD on Mac

i want this bc i am looking for converter that can convert movie to a dvd that can be played on my dvd player

i had convertxtodvd on my pc but my pc isn't working so i decide to get one for my mac...i really like convertxtodvd but thats only for pc not mac

can handbreak convert any movie file to dvd format thats playable on my dvd player? if so then i will check it out

thanks

cwa107 01-06-2010 03:02 PM

If you're just taking taking a video file and want to burn it onto a DVD, Toast will do that for you easily, but it's not cheap. I know of nothing that will easily transcode and burn to a DVD in one step other than Toast.

candy1987 01-06-2010 06:14 PM

k i will give it a try.... hope it works just as good as convertxtodvd or better

candy1987 01-06-2010 08:14 PM

so i got it and im testing it out..but i don't see anything that says burn just record, i going to click on tht and it says "Encoding"
so im hoping this works! fingers are crossed!

candy1987 01-06-2010 09:24 PM

the movie isn't showing good it keeps sticking but it shows good on my computer.