New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Discouraged about switching

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Woodensail

Woodensail is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)

So many things I used to do on Windows is now a chore, and in some cases a major time consumer with my Imac. I basically just use the Mac for browsing now as doing my business on it is too cumbersome. So many things I had taken for granted on Windows seems to be left out on the Mac.
Am I missing something????
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Can you list a couple of things that Windows does with no effort, that require effort with Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Can you supply some instances where you struggle with OSX where windows was easy ??
Some members might be able to give you some insight and shortcuts, easier ways to do things, and to try to make your experience more enjoyable.
On that though it will take time to get to know and understand this OS.
It is completely different to windows but since i have made the switch i find i can do more things easier and without complications once i understood this OS.
Most programs you use in window there is most probably a alternative here ...

EDIT : haha you got the jump on me OnceYouGoMac lol

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Woodensail

Woodensail is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)

Okay, just one example. I upload pics to others via email as well as to photobiucket. I used Fastone to change the size of the pics. The Iphoto program makes it hard to resize, rename, or even scroll through the pics.
Also I used to right mouse click on things and rename, look at properties,etc, but now it seems awkward.

When it comes to bookmarks, I don't feel that it's nearly as convienient. These are just some things that were bugging me tonight, but there are others, such as no way to edit my webpage, since I can no longer use Front Page Express. I have no Idea how Mac users edit a custom page without using the pre templated guidelines.

Maybe just a learning curve, but it is causing me some grief.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Mac has programs that do all of those things faster and more easily, but I am a switcher too, so I need to go find the names..I have used them, but do not remember the names haha
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You can resize pictures in Preview. Open your picture and go to Tools > "Adjust Size...". You can also rename through clicking and pushing enter or clicking once, waiting a second and clicking again (don't click too quickly or you'll open the file). To look at properties, right click and select "Get Info" or highlight it and push Command-I.

There are many ways to edit a webpage. You can use tools such as Coda, Espresso or RapidWeaver.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Preview as vansmith stated is inbuilt to the OS good app to use
Or iResize
or Skitch which personally i use and its easy to resize them Just a matter of dragging a corner ....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I think Preview is one of those things most switchers totally miss because they are distracted by iPhoto. I was one of those people... didn't discover Preview until a month or two after I had my Mac. Both apps have their strong points.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed on Preview. Some miss it and what it can do. Very useful little application. There are others out there for OSX, but for most I just use Preview for basic things like changing size.
QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

Preview didn't do what I wanted, tried several apps but finally found EasyCrop and love it. Quick, and allows me to crop to dimensions.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by y-guy View Post
Preview didn't do what I wanted, tried several apps but finally found EasyCrop and love it. Quick, and allows me to crop to dimensions.
I guess if you're looking specifically for pre-set dimensions, then perhaps Preview doesn't do that. But it most certainly lets you drag the crop to any dimension within a photo that you want.

In fact, it's a lot more flexible than most basic crop apps in that it gives you several crop type options:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-01-04 at 12.13.38 PM.jpg (129.7 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodensail View Post
just a learning curve
You are correct there. Just take time to learn your Mac.
Daily I have to get out of the mindframe of trying to use Mac/OSX like PC/Windoze. This is since I deal with PC's 100% of the day at work until I get back to my barracks and break out my Mac Book Pro.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodensail View Post
Okay, just one example. I upload pics to others via email as well as to photobiucket. I used Fastone to change the size of the pics. The Iphoto program makes it hard to resize, rename, or even scroll through the pics.
Also I used to right mouse click on things and rename, look at properties,etc, but now it seems awkward.

When it comes to bookmarks, I don't feel that it's nearly as convienient. These are just some things that were bugging me tonight, but there are others, such as no way to edit my webpage, since I can no longer use Front Page Express. I have no Idea how Mac users edit a custom page without using the pre templated guidelines.

Maybe just a learning curve, but it is causing me some grief.
Long time Mac user here. One of the best photo editing Apps for the Mac is called GraphicConverter. Not free but worth the $30 or so. It's almost like a min Photoshop but easier to use for the kind of things your talking about. It also does things like batch editing and converting too. I almost never use iPhoto for actual photo editing, it is a pain in my experience.

QUOTE Thanks
ebe326

ebe326 is on a distinguished road

Also, don't forget about automator. It may take a little work up front but the services can be really useful. Here's a link to it.

MacOSX Automation: Automator
QUOTE Thanks
G3XOI

G3XOI is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I think Preview is one of those things most switchers totally miss because they are distracted by iPhoto. I was one of those people... didn't discover Preview until a month or two after I had my Mac. Both apps have their strong points.
Same! I find it such a pain looking at files quickly at college and stuff now!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Screen Dimming | Quick question for the experts out there.... »