New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Thinking of moving from a PC to a Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tollickd

tollickd is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have been using a PC for the better part of 20 years!

I have just got a bonus form work and I can afford up to a Mac 27" with an intel i5. And add Windows 7 in bootcamp or Parallels Desktop 5. (not sure which to use yet)

I have a Laptop with Vista now (intel Duo2 2.0 GHz with 2gb ram 250 GB HD).

I was looking a Macbook (white). Is that better for who has never owned a mac to start? or is full 27" better. I am not intending to take the mac out of the house!

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollickd View Post
Hi all,

I have just got a bonus form work and I can afford up to a Mac 27" with an intel i5. And add Windows 7 in bootcamp or Parallels Desktop 5. (not sure which to use yet)

I was looking a Macbook (white). Is that better for who has never owned a mac to start? or is full 27" better. I am not intending to take the mac out of the house!

Thanks in advance!
I was like you (using Windows forever). I bought a 24" imac and it is quite the spectacular view.

A 27" would be that much nicer. Your going to pay the price for portability and if you dont need portable I'm sure the 27" will blow your mind.

I think the transition would be easier with the imac 'cause you get the full size keyboard as well.

I couldnt imagine going backwards on screen real estate now that I've been spoiled.

Also, If you get an imac try the mouse that comes with it but plug your old two-button usb mouse in. The mouse could make all the difference in the world when switching. I could only handle the mouse that came with my imac for about 15 minutes before I had to plug my old microsoft one in.
QUOTE Thanks
FiosFiend

FiosFiend is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo

Very interesting, I was in the same boat as you just this past year. I hit 25 years with my company and they gave me a very nice cash bonus which I used to buy a 15" MBP, best computer buying decision I've ever made, I might add. I was also an exclusive PC user all my life and never owned a Mac before this past year. It really doesn't make any difference which one you go with, they all pretty much work the same....flawlessly. My decision to go with the MBP was based on my desire to be more mobile. Also the MBP that I purchased was 4 times more powerful then the PC desktop it was replacing and had more HDD capacity. I decided that I really didn't need a desktop computer. Laptops these days have storage and computing power to handle just about any need. Just go with what you think you'll be happiest with in that regard. You won't be sorry about getting the Mac, you'll probably be kicking yourself that you waited this long.

Macbook Pro 15" anti glare 2.8Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

I think the issue with the mouse as mentioned about is probably down to the standard mouse not having a right click, but if you use a Mighty Mouse or the new Magic mouse then you can very easily set up a right click. For me this was a big issue when i got my first Mac as I too am/was a long term Windows user.

In your case I guess I would get an iMac since you don't need to take your computer out the house. Also if like me you will always need Windows to some degree, then a Bootcamp partition and a virtualization are very good. I favour a Bootcamp into Windows, the the use of Fusion to boot into my Windows partition under visualization is really useful.

Happy shopping, there is a learning curve when switching to the Mac from Windows, but I feel the advantages far outweigh the drawbacks.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I did it, and I do not regret a single thing. Now would I install Windows on my Mac unless it were absolutely necessary, because to me, the point of a Mac is that it is a Mac lol, and Snow Leopard is far superior to the Windows junk that Bill Gates used to try to convince everyone that constant crashing etc. is normal. Do it and don't look back!
QUOTE Thanks
tollickd

tollickd is on a distinguished road

I would like to have both a bootcamp and a virtualization but that means I would need to purchase 2 copies of windows 7 as I will be getting a OEM from work!

Or I could just say stick with my laptop (Vista) and only use OS X
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Just out of curiosity,why do you need Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
gojurick

gojurick is on a distinguished road

I'm currently in the same boat you are. I'm actually a Windows Administrator so I'm very partial to MS. I've had to work on Macs in the past to make them work on our networks, and I always hated them. Everything seemed way to complicated. Then last year I was taking a Photoshop class and had to learn on an iMac. Once I got passed some of the differences I actually enjoyed learning a new technology (to me anyway). Over the past several months I researched and decided to replace some of my aging home PCs (I have 5 plus 2 laptops) with a 27" iMac. While I do think they are a bit over-priced (I could get everyone in my house a new high-end PC for that price), I am impressed by what I've learned and frankly I haven't seen anything to beat that screen. I placed my order with the i7 processor, 8GB of RAM and the base 1 TB drive the other day and can't wait to get it. I do a lot of photo editing, and I can't wait to see my pictures on this screen. I'm sure my 20" PC monitor will be quite the disappointment side-by-side. I'll be out here often to gain more knowledge and tap the experience of everyone. My wife will be happy since at least 3 of my PCs will be sold/donated/recycled. Due to my job, I will never be a full-time convert, but I think I can live happily with both.

Gojurick
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tollickd View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations!

I made the move just before Christmas and wish I had did it YEARSago.

I can never figure out why windows guys who move to the mac still want windows via bootcamp etc on their mac, though..

I say good riddance to bad rubbish and hopefully I will never ever ever own a windows compter again.

My last straw came when windows did a maintanance update and wouldn't let me log on after that....I had to get someone who knows about how to hack and work the registry to fix it..all the stores I asked for help simply shrugged their shoulders and pretty much said the next update would fix it!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

I'd install Windows on a Bootcamp partition -- this will assist in "weening" you off Windows since you'll have to reboot to get there. I still have WinXP on bootcamp on my older (white version) iMac, but the only times I ever use Windows now (4 years after my Mac switch) is to update my TomTom nav (its Mac software is pathetic) and to access my Land Rover repair manual disk (not OSX compatible).

Personally, I love the Magic Mouse that comes with the new iMacs. Set the mouse software to give you a right click, and it's great. You get to scroll by swiping your finger on the surface of the mouse -- excellent.
QUOTE Thanks
Dairy

Dairy is on a distinguished road

you're gonna be backwards like me for awhile
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Do it and do not look back. anything you need you can do on a Mac, and much more elegantly, and it does not crash all the time lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis has a spectacular aura about

Also, at the risk of having things thrown at me, I'd think about the 21.5" iMac rather than the 27". If for any reason you decide you don't like being a Mac convert, my guess is you can unload the 21.5" easier than the 27".

[ducks under desk]
QUOTE Thanks
bluefox9er

bluefox9er can only hope to improve

smiles..mac is as much a ' lifestyle' as it is a personal computer...you are getting more than just a computer for your money.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Changing from PC to mac was the best thing I ever did, other than marrying my wife. But it's a close call!!

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are the best custom key combos for SizeUp? | question about sound n music that came with mac »