New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First Mac since Apple IIgs...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skipjack

skipjack is on a distinguished road

So, after years of messing with Windoze... I finally switched! It feels good.... I've been using Linux as well over the years, but have been wanting a Mac for a while and just did it. Got a MacBook Pro (250 GB, 4GB RAM). So far, I love it. Just going to take some getting used to. Couldn't be happier!

-skipjack
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

cool deal, which size did you get?

i'm in a similar boat, had a IIe and then a IIgs back the day, then a Mac Performa model in around '95 or so (60MHz). Then started getting into Linux and Windows, ran Slackware, Redhat, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Ubuntu, alongside Windows for years. Now I have a black Macbook and also a Windows 7 desktop that I use about 50/50.

Thinking about upgrading the macbook to a new unibody soon, and trying to decide between 13 and 15.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

This weeks show SCO0231 is a freebie it seems so u may want to have a look at it; Mac Tutorials : ScreenCastsOnline
QUOTE Thanks
skipjack

Collin Bl,

Thanks for the link... will definitely be helpful!

mostro,

I got the 13 inch. It's the prefect size I think... plenty big to get stuff done and portable at the same time. I love it!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

MOre importantly, have you still got the IIgs

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Congrats!
I first learned computing on the II, IIe and IIc back in 8th grade and Freshman year of High School.
I got bored with computers and started chasing girls instead.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
skipjack

juke,

Didn't anyone tell you.... you could do both..

Wish I still had the IIgs...

-skipjack
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Welcome. I too owned a GS well past the point that I should have moved on. I always thought that machine was never promoted as much as it could have been once the macs came out. Tears of using the GS made the Transition to System 7 and an LC II a breeze.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

As cool as it might be to still have one of those old relics, I move around a lot and can't justify hanging on to old cruft that is big and heavy but doesn't really serve more purpose than novelty or sentimentality.

I used to be a bit of a collector, but after a few back-breaking moves, I broke that habit and now I evaluate an object's usefulness or necessity on an almost yearly basis, or at the most, when I next move. It's actually quite refreshing when you "let go" of a lot of stuff, like it even takes a mental load off in some way. Minimalism!
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

My first PC was a IIe. Lots of good memories of the green screen flight simulator. But have been Windozing since then haha. Now I am back and it is wonderful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Last Questions sorry lol French | Connecting to PC's on a Network »