New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Broke interface installing theme, need help getting it back to normal

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wtemple

wtemple is on a distinguished road

Hope this is gthe right sort of place for this

BACKSTORY: Tried to install a new "theme" from Mac Themes. Followed the instructions in the readme and ran the installer. Logged in/logged out and now everything is all messed up. My entire interface pretty much does not exist. Attempting to open any program will load it for a second before crashing it, so any configuration outside terminal is out of the question as far as I know.

Booting into safemode didn't change anything.

The theme in question I used is MacThemes Forum / [Theme] Caesar for Snow Leopard and it luckily came with an uninstaller of sorts. IE "install original". My plan is that running this will install the original theme and hopefully not destroy anything more.

I'm currently at the terminal trying to run the Install Original Theme.pkg but I get a segfault when I run this command:

Code:
installer -pkg "Original Theme Intel.pkg" -target /
Sorry for the complicated question, I've only been using a mac for a month now. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I guess it's time to use your time machine back up to go back to when you haddnt screwed it up. Sorry but that's the safest and fastest why to correct your problem that I know of.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
wtemple

wtemple is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to access time machine via the terminal? I don`t think I even had it set up.
QUOTE Thanks
josephrockz4

josephrockz4 is on a distinguished road

Oh, dear...
If you didn't set up Time Machine, you're out of luck with that.
I can't help much with uninstalling the theme/reinstalling the original theme, so look around a bit more for that before even reading the next part. It may be that you solve it entirely without it.

If worse comes to worst, and you can't find a solution, you might need to back up your files and reinstall OS X. First, you'll need an external drive. A thumb drive or a full-size external. Then, you need to back up your files, if you can. (If you can't use Finder to do it, it'll have to be done in safe mode or however you get to the Terminal) Anyway, then after you've backed your files up, get your OS X installation disc and put it in, restart, and hold "c" after you hear the chime until you get to the apple.Then just follow the instructions, and reinstall. Don't forget to reinstall your software, too.
You probably knew all that, but just making sure...
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

nuttiespice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

@clayneal
How to do that? Go back to the time machine back up and go back?? I have the same problem.

change is what makes the world go around
QUOTE Thanks
nuttiespice

nuttiespice is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB/320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm/Mac OS Leopard 10.6.2

Well, the problem is solved. I am typing it here in case someone encounters the same problem. The caesar comes with an uninstaller. Use that and then shut down the computer. The computer asks you whether you want to install updates, click yes. Switch on the mac, the interface is back to normal again.

change is what makes the world go around
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Or run your install discs. That's another solution. But yes, don't mess with themes without half expecting to get burned.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Clips to DVD? | Post your favorite Mac tip »