New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Defragmenting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Must one defragment the Mac hard disk?
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

Ok I got Mac Janitor, but when you run tasks, it does not specify what it is doing, or give you options. Basically, is it defragmenting?
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoMac View Post
Link from Apple's site:

About disk optimization with Mac OS X

In "Products affected" it lists 10.5 as the latest version but it should relate to 10.6 (SL) as well.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok I got Mac Janitor, but when you run tasks, it does not specify what it is doing, or give you options. Basically, is it defragmenting?
Quit trying to break that thing. Didnt you just get it not to long ago?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

lol - Mac Janitor is an ok tool. Doesn't tell you what it's doing because all it does is run the regular maintenance scripts (cleaning). I'd recommend doing this for those that turn their machine off at night and not already using either Onyx or MainMenu.

It does exactly what it says it does on it's home page; no more, no less. Just follow the directions there.

No, it does not defrag. Under ordinary circumstances there is no need to defrag OS X. OS X takes care of this function all on it's own, behind the scenes, without any input from you or the running of 3rd party apps.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
No, it does not defrag. Under ordinary circumstances there is no need to defrag OS X. OS X takes care of this function all on it's own, behind the scenes, without any input from you or the running of 3rd party apps.
And the same is true of most maintenance tasks. Feeling the need to perform constant maintenance is one of those bad habits many of us bring with us from the Windows world. It simply isn't necessary on OS X.

Generally speaking, as it relates to OS X maintenance - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you really feel the need to do some proactive maintenance, you don't need to run a tool like Onyx or MainMenu more than once a quarter or so. Killing all of those caches constantly will actually slow regular use of the machine and sort of defeats the point of a cache to begin with.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
And the same is true of most maintenance tasks. Feeling the need to perform constant maintenance is one of those bad habits many of us bring with us from the Windows world. It simply isn't necessary on OS X.
I suppose I fit into that cohort. And I've had my MB for a while now. To be honest, I can't say I fully believe you, despite being much more experienced with Mac's. I am regularly looking for little ways I can fasten the screws, ever so gently, for a long smooth ride with personalized yet formal tuning.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterPussyCat View Post
I suppose I fit into that cohort. And I've had my MB for a while now. To be honest, I can't say I fully believe you, despite being much more experienced with Mac's. I am regularly looking for little ways I can fasten the screws, ever so gently, for a long smooth ride with personalized yet formal tuning.
I feel that compulsion as well and occasionally give into it - but the funny thing is, the performance of my Mac doesn't really change much - but I do notice that it takes longer to boot.

If you look at the various tasks these tools perform, most of them are simple housekeeping (purging caches, cleaning up temp files, etc). Unless the drive is close to capacity, if you think about it, how do these things really impact performance?

Take the cwa107 challenge...

Use XBench and Geekbench to run a benchmark on your machine today. Let the machine alone (from a maintenance perspective) for 3 months (set an iCal reminder) and benchmark it again. I'll bet you won't see any difference in performance. Frankly, I'll bet if you let it go for 6 months you wouldn't see a difference either.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
No, but I do it once in awhile anyway. TechTool Pro runs a "scan" and shows a graph of how fragmented your disk(s) is(are). Usually, it doesn't show much, so I skip the actual optimization. But, after several months, there are fragments that appear to be significant, so I go ahead and clean them up.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
No, but I do it once in awhile anyway. TechTool Pro runs a "scan" and shows a graph of how fragmented your disk(s) is(are). Usually, it doesn't show much, so I skip the actual optimization. But, after several months, there are fragments that appear to be significant, so I go ahead and clean them up.
That's another natural compulsion. The idea that the logical structures inside their computer get "dirty" and need to be "cleaned." What looks "neat and clean" to human eyes is not necessarily what's fastest for a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
That's another natural compulsion. The idea that the logical structures inside their computer get "dirty" and need to be "cleaned." What looks "neat and clean" to human eyes is not necessarily what's fastest for a computer.
It's funny, but I thought the same thing when I read this thread an hour or so ago. I always remember how the blocks on Windows lined up all neat and color coded, never thinking that the computer may not actually work better that way...

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And see all these green dots under these guys posts? Just believe them as they will not lead you astray.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Programs that run the maintenance scripts are fine to have around and run if you are experiencing a problem otherwise they are for the most part unnecessary. If your Mac happens to be off at the appointed time recent incarnations of OS X generally take care of this for you.

After using a Mac since the 1990s I finally broke myself of the defragmentation habit. The only time I had to perform it recently was in setting up my Boot Camp partition. The Setup Assistant complained about a lack of available space.

Lest you think I am making both statements up see Five Mac maintenance myths | Mac | Editors' Notes | Macworld

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

lol I guess I do still have Windows mentality...OS X dos it anyway? Dang! I love it! I shall delete Janitor now. Thanks for letting me know!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
After using a Mac since the 1990s I finally broke myself of the defragmentation habit.
To be fair, OS9 and older were just as bad as Windows when it came to fragmenting and did need it done every so often. The early versions of OSX could live without it for the most part.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« oh ya one more thing | System Use/Utilities »