New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Your world is so new to me !! introduction and a few questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Onslot Racing

Onslot Racing is on a distinguished road

Hey all who read
I just ordered My new Mac , after a few years of thinking about it , I felt enought was enought , there is going to be quite a learning curve for me as I have always been a PC , now that I have come over to the white side , I need a bit of advise , My new Mac come with iLife which has iPhoto , is this a photo editting software ? I need something that easily reduces size and some cropping ect , nothing to fancy , I use paint shop pro now , but no where near its full potential . also Im thinking of loading windows on the drive as well ...does this really work ? I have a few programs that I would like to continue to use ,but not have to re-buy for Mac ....
As for introductions My Name is Rick im out in the Fraser Valley Of british Columbia Canada ,...I like long walks along the beach....OK just kiddin
Cheers and happy holidays
Rick

AKA Onslot Racing
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Welcome! I got my Macbook today. I do not know much and cannot answer your questions but to say welcome, and that anyone who uses Windows voluntarily is a sucker! lol
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

iPhoto can indeed do some basic photo editing. This might get you started. How to Use Apple iPhoto Software | eHow.com. That site also has several other iPhoto related articles there. In fact it will do some basic photo editing such as cropping and retouching. The eHow site has several other iPhoto articles and videos.

If that article doesn't answer your questions PM me and I will see if I can find additional sources. There is also Amazon.com: iPhoto '09: The Missing Manual (9780596801441): David Pogue, J D Biersdorfer, Pogue David, Biersdorfer Jude: Books which I haven't tried but it has been well reviewed.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Hello and welcome. As stated above I can't say enough about the missing manual series I bought them for both the Mac and iPhone when I switched. Between those and this forum you'll be fine.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
MarkZhang

MarkZhang is on a distinguished road

iPhoto can do basic editing but I HIGHLY recommend Picasa (from Google)

I used it on my PCs and when I got my Mac, I had to get that too. Its free and its great!
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

For free you can use the open source Gimp (I've never tried it but people say it is most like Photoshop) it's on this Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X. page as well as a lot of other great open source alternatives. This page also lists some free ones also (sorry it's from macrumors) Best free photo editor? - Mac Forums

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Oh and welcome..

For Windows, you might be able to find mac alternatives, there are also a lot of programs that enable you to load windows on your mac.. I use parallels (which IMHO was pretty bad until they more recently released Parallels desktop 5.0). Parallels isn't free but there are a few free ones and altho it isn't free I believe codeweavers has thiers that you don't have to load windows on but allows you to use some windows software and games.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Depending on which PC programs you want to use, there may well be free or cheap mac alternatives. The one that comes to mind first is NeoOffice -- a great free replacement for Word. Before you go the PC on your mac route, check into other software that is made for a mac. Versiontraker is a good website to look at, as is MacUpdate. Lots of freeware/shareware there.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
vank66

vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

Rick, You might look at Preview,already om your Mac for re-sizing.But as previously suggested, Picassa is very good . Good Luck with your Mac. Van
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Open Office | .plist question »