New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iMac display will turn off, but won't go to sleep...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velocity_avisGT

velocity_avisGT is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone!

I've got a problem. I want my Mac to stay on for a certain amount of time (display off) before it goes to sleep.
The thing is, whenever I do this (system pref.), the display will turn off after the time specified, but it will never go to sleep...
Does anyone know why it does that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers, Anthony
QUOTE Thanks
velocity_avisGT

Anyone, please?
QUOTE Thanks
velocity_avisGT

Doesn't anyone know how to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

What OS are you on and what are the Preferences set to here;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
velocity_avisGT

Mac OS X 10.5.8

I've tried everything, at the moment it's just on the default settings.

Thanks for the reply!

Anthony
QUOTE Thanks
velocity_avisGT

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Do you have any applications running that would prevent it from going to sleep?
QUOTE Thanks
velocity_avisGT

Not that I know of. I tried quitting all applications and then doing it, still won't go to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Try telling it a bunch of lame jokes. It should go to sleep then.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

A few suggestions:

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

It talks about notebooks but some info relates to imacs too.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

It's a dumb question, but how do you know it isn't going to sleep? With the monitor dark, and with no other lights on it, how do you know it's still working on something? My iMac is set for the default, and it dutifully goes dark on schedule. In the mornings, when I touch the keyboard, it wakes up and the screen comes back, just as advertised. But I can't think of how to know if it was secretly still awake in the dark...
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

This sometimes happens with me if an application is still running on something. One thing to do - quit all your apps before sending to sleep and see what happens. If that doesn't work... beats me!
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

One curious thing - I discovered that Time Machine still backs up when the iMac is asleep. Odd - so I'm starting to shut down completely instead of sending to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerich View Post
It's a dumb question, but how do you know it isn't going to sleep? With the monitor dark, and with no other lights on it, how do you know it's still working on something? My iMac is set for the default, and it dutifully goes dark on schedule. In the mornings, when I touch the keyboard, it wakes up and the screen comes back, just as advertised. But I can't think of how to know if it was secretly still awake in the dark...
Not so dumb...that's the question and answer I've been wanting to see.

And Time Machine has never backed up either one of my Macs while they were asleep.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

I thnk that when it is really asleep you have to press the power button to wake it up.

I have mine set so the screen goes black after 15 minutes and set to go to sleep after 1 hour. If I move the mouse within that hour the screen will come "alive" After that hour I cant simply move the mouse too make the screen come alive, I have to press the power button.

I also had set the timer to put the machine to sleep at 1 am (it reminds me I'm up to late) and set it to "wake up" about the time I normally would.

About a week ago I downloaded an alarm app that goes off in the morning. I keep the itunes remote control next to the bed and it works as as a snooze button.
Attached Images
File Type: png power saver shot.png (62.6 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« why do i get this? | ok I lied: another question »