Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't bother with an Apple Mouse
    From my experience with my not so "mighty" mouse I would suggest switchers use some other brand's mouse with their Mac. With my PC I used a Dell mouse and with my laptop PC a logitech both for over six years and never had even one problem.

With the Mac I have to try to clean the roller on the mouse every week or two in order to scroll. This is a common flaw with Mac mouses. It looks nice but doesn't work.

I'm pleased overall with the Mac, but like all such machines there are glitches.

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11.1.
    Interesting. Have used MM for three years and yet to have to clean the roller. Are using it on a pad of some sort or just collecting residue from the desk?

Scotland, UK
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    Mine loses the ability to scroll either up or down (normally down) once a month. Found a neat trick though, grab a bit of blu-tac and run the ball over it for a min or so.

Clears it out brilliantly.

imac 21in 2.5 GHz Core i5-ipad Air-iphone 32gb
    I've had my Mighty Mouse for 6 months now and no problems,fits nicely in the palm of hand and scrolls accurately.I would recommend to anyone.

iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
    I am left-handed. I use the Logitech Marble Mouse - both on my iMac and my Win7 machine. I didn't get one well with the Mac Mouse with its tiny 'trackball'.

I also use a Logitech cordless keyboard, which has some extra function keys and is more comfortable to use than the aluminium keyboard.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I've long since retired my "Mighty Mouse" for the same reasons the OP states. Very poor design, IMO. I'm actually surprised that Apple didn't do better since they invented the first rodent. A cheap Logitech purchased at Wal-Mart for less than $15.00 easily outperforms the $49 MM.

Can't speak for the Magic Mouse though, don't have one, and do not intend to have one.

Irvine, CA
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    I concur, Apple mice are just horrendous, more form than function. If I ever got a desktop Mac, I wouldn't even bother taking the mouse out of the packaging, I'd either leave it in there or sell it on eBay.

June 2007
    July 2009

Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    I don't think I would ever bother with any mouse with a roller ball in it anymore. You can get a decent wireless optical mouse for less than $25.

I like my new Magic Mouse. It is easy to use, but it can be a bit touchy at times. At work I have a very old logitech roller ball mouse & have refused to upgrade to any of the newer ball mice because it is so easy for me to use.

I will admit I miss the new scrolling with the Magic Mouse when I'm scrolling and changing pages with my logitech roller ball at work.

Will see how I like the Magic Mouse as time goes by. I do hope it holds up well & doesn't have too many problems down the road.

Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
    I don't think I would ever bother with any mouse with a roller ball in it anymore. You can get a decent wireless optical mouse for less than $25.
    It's not a roller ball for tracking the mouse - the Mighty Mouse is an optical mouse. The roller ball is where the wheel is on a mouse and replaces the wheel function for scrolling up and down a page (as well as left and right)

My biggest pet peeve with Apple mice is that even the newer ones, that claim to have a resolution of 800dpi seem to be less responsive then say a logitech 800 dpi mouse with the same settings in the control panel for tracking speed.

I do have my MM hooked up atm, mostly because my logitech that I normally use is connected to my gaming laptop so I don't have to dual boot my desktop anymore; but eventually I'll replace the mouse with another wireless.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Las Vegas, NV USA
    iMac, and Macbook Pro
    Jaygray- the roller ball everyone is complaining about is actually the scroll wheel on the Mighty Mouse. The Mouse itself is optical.

I regularly used 4 Mighty Mouses (Mice?) over more than two years. I wound up getting 3 replacements from Apple during that time, if memory serves. The mice I replaced were clearly defective, click functions would no longer work. As to the roller ball scroll wheel, I had to clean them every so often. I just used denatured alcohol on a cloth. That cleared up the scrolling problems just fine.

I now have 4 Magic Mouses, and yes, I like them a whole lot better. And, so far they've all worked perfectly.

Hi everyone. I just bought my first Mac about 2 weeks ago. A 21.5" imac. It came with the Magic Mouse and I absolutely love it. I think it's the best mouse I've ever used.

I didn't care for the Mighty Mouse, but the Magic Mouse on my new iMac is great. Very easy to use, and for everthing I do (which is just straightforward navigation, no CAD or anything) it's precision is sufficient.

MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
    Got a Magic Mouse for Christmas. I really like the feel of it, so I'll be sticking with it.

Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
    I must admit, in my opinion, Microsoft makes a mean mouse.

Thread Information