New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

the "end" and "home" buttons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

ok i think i am a bit lost in the thinking like a windows person i suppose but why does the end button not take you to the end of a line in the sentence, and the home do vice versa? and if they dont do that what are their purposes? do they take you to the top and bottom of the page.. b/c "page up" and "page down" do that as well... please help.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this on the iMac or the MBP? Makes a difference. You do have the full sized wired keyboard on the iMac right?
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

You do not need those keys to do that. Control + left/right arrow will move the cursor to the beginning/end of a sentence.

Also:

Control+Shift+left/right arrow = highlight entire line

Option+left/right arrow = move the cursor left or right to a word one by one

Option+Shift+ left/right arrow = highlight a word one by one.

Shift+ left/right arrow = highlights a character one by one.

Have always used these shortcuts, I never click where I want to put the cursor

QUOTE Thanks
droflex

droflex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
ok i think i am a bit lost in the thinking like a windows person i suppose but why does the end button not take you to the end of a line in the sentence, and the home do vice versa? and if they dont do that what are their purposes? do they take you to the top and bottom of the page.. b/c "page up" and "page down" do that as well... please help.
After I switched to a mac I hated not being able to use Home and End (I still do). I have yet to figure out what the home and end keys are there for.

I've learned to live with it 'cause I cant remember the hot-keys that Cuhnool described. Every once in a while I will try and use them and sometimes I get lucky... Sometimes I hear the "error bonk". Other times I hit the wrong key combo's and end up in lah-lah land.

Everything about my mac I absolutely love except for that one stupid little thing.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am on my iMac with the full sized Aluminum keyboard and Home takes me to the beginning of this line I am typing and End to the end.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I am on my iMac with the full sized Aluminum keyboard and Home takes me to the beginning of this line I am typing and End to the end.
How do you make it do that? Please tell.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by droflex View Post
How do you make it do that? Please tell.
Funny thing is with the large full size apple keyboards the Home and End have always worked that here. Just on the notebooks and small keyboards where the issue shows up.

I have done nothing special. No special settings. 10.5.8 Leopard on iMac G5 and that full size Apple keyboard with the numbered keypad.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Funny thing is with the large full size apple keyboards the Home and End have always worked that here. Just on the notebooks and small keyboards where the issue shows up.

I have done nothing special. No special settings. 10.5.8 Leopard on iMac G5 and that full size Apple keyboard with the numbered keypad.
But I have the full size on my imac. Those keys dont do anything. I even have gone in to the keyboard section in preferences and tried to remap them but it doesnt give me the option to do it...At least I didnt think it did. It's been a little while since I went there.

Did you remap them somehow?

Edit: Oh, I see, you said you didnt. I'm confused.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by droflex View Post
But I have the full size on my imac. Those keys dont do anything. I even have gone in to the keyboard section in preferences and tried to remap them but it doesnt give me the option to do it...At least I didnt think it did. It's been a little while since I went there.

Did you remap them somehow?

Edit: Oh, I see, you said you didnt. I'm confused.
I tried them on this message and in Pages and End goes to the end of the line I am typing and Home brings it back to the beginning. Checking to see if there is some setting but found nothing so far. I know I changed nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

I bought my machine used. Maybe the guy I bought it from changed something.

I seem to recall other people talking about this before and I believe I've read about it too. Oh well, I'm up too late again so I will check it out tomorrow.

In the mean time, thanks for letting me know that there is still the possibility to have them work that way.

cya
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

Before I sack-out, I copied this off a web site. I might try this tomorrow. Dont know why your keyboard is already good-to-go.

Later

Edit: After further investigation, I found an easier way than this. See my post that follows this one.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (121.6 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

O.K. So forget about that screen shot I posted above. The following method is way easier.

Visit the following page and download/run the "keyfixer" program.

KeyFixer – Fix Your OS X Home and End Keys - Starry Hope Productions

You have to restart any app's you have currently running in order for it to take effect.

Works like a charm. Except for Firefox.

For Firefox you need to go here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9796

To have it work in Terminal: Go to Terminal -> Preferences -> Settings -> Keyboard and edit “Home” to "send string to shell" control-A, and then edit “End” to "send string to shell" control-E. See screen-shot attachments below.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: png terminal settings shot.png (94.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png terminal setting edit shot.png (111.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png terminal>settings>keyboard edit shot.png (106.5 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i just used the first half of the post with the keyfixer and downloaded the add-on for firefox it works fine now. i did not have to go to terminal or anything.

Thanks for all the help all

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
droflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
i just used the first half of the post with the keyfixer and downloaded the add-on for firefox it works fine now. i did not have to go to terminal or anything.

Thanks for all the help all
Cool! Glad it worked. Sorry that was misleading. I guess I should have worded the "Terminal" part differently. What I meant to say was that if you want the Terminal application to have the same Home/End key "fix" it has to be done separately in the Terminal "preferences" area.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

A related question.

In the office (on PCs) I use Lotus Notes. In that the Insert key toggles email messages between 'read' and 'unread'. When I use my iMac - together with an XP VM session in Parallels - to connect in to this system via a VPN, I have no Insert key on my Mac keyboard. I only have a double-size Delete key.

Is there an Insert key please?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook speech recognition? | Switcher RAM Question »