New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

migration assistant ran, so uh, where's my stuff?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

akqjt

akqjt is on a distinguished road

Ran Migration Assistant to transfer all my files from MB Pro to new Mac Mini. Took about 90 minutes, went out to dinner, dialog boxes said everything was successful - but can't find where anything is. If I search for example "All Movies", it's blank, even though the MB Pro has a bunch of movie files. I know my computers weren't just pretending to transfer files for 90 minutes, so where did everything go?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It may have created a separate user account with all your old stuff in it

check the users folder first

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
akqjt

akqjt is on a distinguished road

Nothing in the Users folder.

Update: I realized all my applications copied over, but none of the documents (/pictures/movies/etc.)...
QUOTE Thanks
jelster2

jelster2 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the exact same issue (though I purposefully did not copy over my applications). Copied over all the user accounts with their documents, movies, etc., using Migration Assistant, but now nothing I've transferred is anywhere to be found. I've checked the drive with one of those hard drive visualization programs, and none of the files I transferred are represented. The main hard drive even says that all of that disk space is gone! Those files have to be somewhere, I just can't figure it out.

Using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on 17" MBP
QUOTE Thanks
bobolinx

bobolinx is on a distinguished road

I finally found my stuff after searching last night and again tonight in the users area. It listed it as "ibook G4". Many of my docs etc. were in there. I'm not sure if the pics made it or not since I only had time to unlock the docs folder. For some reason they were all locked. I used the "help" button to walk me through the unlock problem. I knew my things were migrated since I had found a few things earlier and the hard drive was smaller, it just wasn't clear where! Good Luck to you
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Good find and thanks for posting your solution

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

In the initial set up with a brand new user it asks if you want all your stuff from another computer - in that case i believe everything would be in same places but if OS is already installed in the new unit it is imported as a different user to the one already set up as admin, so data would be stored elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
jelster2

jelster2 is on a distinguished road

So after some more searching and noodling around and stepping back for a second, I found the solution.

I basically just didn't realize you can't access ANY user data (or even see the fact that it's taking up space, which is ridiculous) unless you are logged in as that specific user...so it turns out that all of my documents, data, etc. were just under a different user name. So, all I had to do was log in as that user...took a couple of tries since I have a few accounts now that I've migrated a couple times, but it finally works.
QUOTE Thanks
musicaddictz

musicaddictz is on a distinguished road

I didn't even see a new user account. I didn't transfer from My Music, My Documents but from DMusic. Now those 12GB is nowhere to be found, can someone help me please? T_T
QUOTE Thanks
Phasmid

Phasmid is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: OS 10.8.3, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory

OK, I found my stuff under another user. But I don't want two different users - I want just one user with my music, documents, pictures, etc.

How can I get the stuff merged into my preferred user account?
QUOTE Thanks
Gandalph

Gandalph has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 8 GB Ram.

I can't believe this thread was started on 12-25-2009 and it has taken you till now to find your stuff. Nearly three years.

 Machine Specs: 27" i7 iMac l 2.8 GHz Quad Core l 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3 Ram l ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB Ram l 2 TB Sata HDD l 2 TB Time Machine [Seagate GoFlex. Firewire 800] l Built-in OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H l Built-in Card reader l Mac OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks I iPhone 4S 16 GB iOS 7.1
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I searched this forum and found this:LINK. Search is your friend.
QUOTE Thanks
Phasmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalph View Post
I can't believe this thread was started on 12-25-2009 and it has taken you till now to find your stuff. Nearly three years.
That's funny. And would indeed be quite remarkable. But I only just joined the Mac Forum a couple of days ago when I got my new Mac. In the old days (twenty years ago etc.) I was a Mac fan but I wound up being a reluctant Windoze user for the interim.

PS: I'm still looking for the answer to my question.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasmid View Post
That's funny. And would indeed be quite remarkable. But I only just joined the Mac Forum a couple of days ago when I got my new Mac. In the old days (twenty years ago etc.) I was a Mac fan but I wound up being a reluctant Windoze user for the interim.

PS: I'm still looking for the answer to my question.
Read the thread I posted for you. Your mistake is solved in that thread. Search is still your friend.
QUOTE Thanks
Phasmid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
Read the thread I posted for you. Your mistake is solved in that thread. Search is still your friend.
I did read it. And the links that it linked to. Hmm.

OK, now I see it. Apparently, Safari doesn't authenticate new tabs which are accessing the same site. Or something like that. Anyway, it was there after I realized that there was more than it first appeared.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Important E-mails going into my junk on my mac? | How to convert .wma files to itunes library? »